Down III: Over The Under review by Down

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
Down: Down III: Over The Under

I've read Phil's interview on Revolver and apparently, he was going through some physical therapy and surgery for his back problems (which he faced while he was still in Pantera). The album itself was written by Phil, Keenan, and Windstien. Windstien brings Crowbar's chuggy riffs and downtuned playing into the songs. Keenan puts in the rhythmic styled guitars that are heard in his band Corrosion of Conformity. I have heard Phil's vocals change over the few Pantera albums, and in my opinion they have changed for the worse. His vocals on Reinventing the Steel was nothing compared to the ones on VDP and CBH, but this album changed all that. Phil's vocals on this album sounds fresh and as if he's back in his mid-late '20s again. The drums are fantastic as well and they keep the rhythm going pretty well. Overall, I think this is a really great album with some nice, catchy riffs and good vocals.

The lyrics are more about regret, sorrow, anger, and more about their personal problems. It's a lot deeper than some of Phil's other works and it clearly shows all the troubles that he had to go through after Dimebag's death. The sound of the music matches perfectly with the lyrics. The low riffs brining out the negative view of the lyrics, while the faster parts and the solos expresses the anger. Phil's voice matches the lyrics very well with his screams and more melodic singing.

I'd say that this is one of the best albums that Phil has put out so far. Unlike Superjoint or Pantera, this entire album is more sludge and it definitely does feel slowed down. Those people who like both Crowbar and CoC will love this album. If it was stolen, I'd go and steal it back, then tell the guy that he has good taste in music.

turbopunk2000
    Down. I remember my friend almost punched me when i said I like them better than Pantera. Fucking amazing band, I can't even begin to explain the emotions I get from listening to them
    steve_a7x
    DOWN = ONE OF THE BEST BANDS AROUND! nola was an amazing album, a bustle in your hedgerow was very good, not as good as nola tho and over the under was just simply amazing 10/10 from start to finish! favourite album/band since pantera!
    y-e-a-r-z-e-r-o
    i am a stranger to down but after hearing about phil of pentera and this cd i got it ..... and it is better than anything else i have heard phil involved with, i do love pantera and all but this entire cd is awsome.... 3 suns and 1 star, never try, on march the saints = totally bad asssss im going to go in search of the other down albums now.... like right now
    fuzzmunkey
    PHIL ANSELMO IS GOD - no question the guitars on this just kill, would've liked to see more of the harder stuff like from nola on III, but its still a killer album, can't wait for IV
    Volkerball06
    the first dude said that Beneath the Tides is the longest song on the album and is 9 mins long, well its not 9 mins long and not the longest song, btw its Nothing in Return (Walk Away)
    exloser
    I liked Down II and Nola better than down III. All fantastic albums but the songs sounded too similar.
    haifisch234
    I know that NOLA has sort of a cult status among Down fans, but Down III is their opus magnum. Perfect album from the very first to the very last note.