Nation review by Dr. Acula

• Released: Jun 19, 2012
Dr. Acula: Nation

First off, this is my first review, so just be chill if I spell something wrong, don't prove a point very well, etc. Anyways, here it goes. Dr. Acula is out to prove some people wrong on "Nation". The 6-piece band from New York has come a long way musically from "S.L.O.B.". On "Nation", Dr. Acula truly cuts no corners. Fans of "Slander", will fall in love with this record. Guitar work on this album is awesome Ricky and Bill do their parts perfectly. Some high points being being the riff at the end of "Suburban Superstar (Strung Out On Strong Island)", and the riffs in "Thinner" really help to make the end of the album crushing. Drum work is pretty good, Jesse does a good job being creative. The album itself was mixed by Jeremy Comitas, he really hit home with it, the album sounds really good. Something that "Slander" fans might miss, is there are no movie/quote clips. Instead, there is a narrator throughout the album talking about how the "DA Nation" is taking over the world. I myself miss the little clips they threw in, but the album is overall very solid.

The lyrics in this album, like they said, are rather angry. From smack talking the smack-talkers, to bashing religion, they really don't hold up on the lyrics this time around. They still have a funny, not as serious side, e.g. "What will you do when the money runs out? You'll be sucking those dicks on the corner of fifth, with your cute little tear drop catching the jizz". Tyler (mids and highs) really didn't change too much, except that he used his mids a lot more. Casey changed quite a bit. He doesn't do as many gutturals as he did on "Slander". He growls more on this album, while still using a few gutturals.

This album came out the same day of "Whitechapel" by Whitechapel and "Evolve" EP by Chelsea Grin and stands up very well against them. My favorite songs are "The Party Is Over (Locked On Target)", "Surburban Superstar (Strung Out On Strong Island)" and "Thinner". I really enjoyed the lyrics on the album. I do however miss the synth (Joey left a while back) and I miss the audio clips. If it was stolen or lost, I would easily go back and buy it. A very solid effort "Dr. Acula", very solid.

GoodthinkJC
    listened to two songs on youtube oh god what is this i don't even
    EpiExplorer
    This band has always been awful. Just look at those lyrics... druggies with guitars burbling about nightclubs. The riffs are just mismatched diminished and augmented chords thrown together.
    staceap
    swave75
    larrytheguitar
    3lusiv3
    staceap wrote: I think this is the most mature-sounding Dr Acula album in a musical sense (maybe not so much the lyrics, but it's extreme metal, how often do you hear the lyrics anyway?). People always seem to take music too seriously when it comes to Dr Acula, just cos they started out with this silly blast-beats-synth cross kind of stupid deathcore (which I enjoyed a lot, by the way), but why can't others just lighten up about things? Music doesn't always have to be political or emotional!
    Man, people get butthurt about the stupidest shit. They spend so much time trying to feign intelligence that they forget that this music is ****ing fun!
    TimboSlice
    swave75 wrote: Dr.Acula....someone used Ed Woods idea for a title of a movie...I like that. Good review.
    Mitch Hedberg was telling a joke centred around Dr. Acula since like, 1999.
    Thanks
    $hithappen$16
    TheMetalcoreGuy
    $hithappen$16 wrote: TheMetalcoreGuy wrote: I seriously want to know whats so bad about Dr. Acula. They have so much fun with their music, and im absolutely loving the new sound. Dislike this comment or whatever you want to do, i dont care. i think its great. larrytheguitar wrote: "I went to a doctor the other day, all he did was suck blood from my neck. Do not go see Dr. Acula!" - Mitch Hedberg And yeah, thats where the name came from. Anyone who said its the tv show Scrubs is an idiot or misinformed. nope not misinformed. That's not where the band got their name but they did talk about Dr. Acula on Scrubs. Trust me I would know
    it says on their facebook that that is how they got their name.