Slander review by Dr. Acula

• Released: Feb 15, 2011
Dr. Acula: Slander

Deathcore and party music are things that most would NEVER relate to one another, but up and coming band Dr. Acula merge both almost flawlessly on their Victory Records Debut, Slander. The band captures the ferocity and breakneck tempos of Deathcore with the fun and outright silliness of a 3-day house party. And what more could be expected from a band that used to name all their songs after Goosebumps books?

Dr. Acula has two vocalists, one that has a multi-range fry/hardcore scream, and another that does bellows and such. The two mix their distinct voices tastefully on tracks such as Cocaine Avalanche and Who You Gonna Call?!, while at other times the vocals can be a bit tedious (All Work No Play, Party 2.0). Lyrically, these guys are more fun than a barrel of monkeys at a kegger. Add to the general insanity of the lyrics samples from popular tv shows and movies such as Zombieland and Pee-Wee's Playhouse, and this record becomes more than just your average "death and doom" deathcore album.

After years of making less than desireable music with little or no recording quality, Dr. Acula have finally broken through to a larger audience, and have a very impressive album to give out as a housewarming present. The album almost never diappoints, with standout tracks being Welcome To Camp Nightmare, Currently Sexting, Cocaine Avalanche and The Big Sleep. Definately reccomended to Deathcore fans or heavy music fans in general, just as long as they don't mind taking a joke.

Metalxorxdie
    so a crappy "joke" band like this gets a high rating, but when you get a REAL Metal band that puts dedication and hard work into an album, it only gets a 7 or 8 at the most...that's cause all the emo/scene kids stick together so they can actually think their "music" is good....pfft....hey to each his own, but if someone thought living in a dumpster was cool, doesnt mean that it's cool to most people....seems like anyone does anything for attention now a days, and it's a shame it's happening with music...cant wait til this scenecore trend dies
    therapture
    Eh who gives a shit. People who like it will listen, people who don't will try to make others feel bad about listening to it. Same old story, but hey gotta understand thats how the music business is nowadays. I read a comment earlier about how a real metal bands gets a 7 or 8 and bands like this get a 9.7... yeah, thats not cool.
    foster.getagrip
    I really really dislike this style of music. But to give them a little credit, they're doing it differently. But Still, I don't like it. And I don't get how this would be enjoyable at a party. I mean, better than the popular crap I get at high school parties, but still... I'd much rather listen to some punk.
    Shlecht
    first off, as someone mentioned previously - Scrubs joke = ruined. second, no one should even take this seriously, considering how the reviewer speaks of this band, and the fact that the description he posted is a spelling nightmare.
    EpiExplorer
    ninjagayden777 wrote: Yes, I know the rating is relatively high, but I gave it such because the album is UNIQUE. You pop in a Carnifex or Whitechapel album and the music sounds so similar stylistically and lyrically. Dr. Acula is fresh, and like I mentioned THEY ARE A JOKE. Just laugh along and enjoy it or let those that truly enjoy the music do so. Meaningless hate on these pages helps no one.
    The joke obviously isn't very funny, unless the listener is like, 12 or something.. Grind****ers all the way.
    ninjagayden777
    Thrasher11
    band aside, this review is terrible. judging by the writing, i would guess you are 17. is this true? if not, stop reviewing now.
    bite_the_bullet
    They have to flame people on here, because they don't have the sack (or womanly parts, to be fair) to do it anywhere else. It's all a ploy to make themselves feel better about the choices they make, because people who are happy with their own social standing and life decisions don't have the need to insult or demean others. Whether that be over the internet, or otherwise.
    ilovesyu
    krvolok
    popular tv shows and movies such as Zombieland
    zombieland I can just imagine that horrible whining nasal voice from that guy in the movie over the music on Slander.I'm sticking with the Excrementorys.
    EpiExplorer
    This is the metal equivalent of 'agado-do-do' then? Christ, I hate being part of the youth of today..
    wat???
    I first saw them at a local show when i was a freshman in high school. I always thought their songs were funny, and i never took them seriously. If you think of them that way, you can listen to it, but not a whole lot. Knowing them as a local band and seeing them up here is kinda cool though.
    derrickddyp
    derpdragon wrote: And another Core band that ruins a Scrubs joke. Thanks.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Mr. B
    I played a show with these guys like three years back when they were a small joke band. They spent the whole show asking everyone in my band where to find cocaine.
    ProgJazzMath
    jibran wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: These guys were better when they were a joke band. Wait, they aren't a joke band anymore? That's lame. I could only like them because they were a satiric study. Blast.
    Yeah, they used to be the popularly known "party grind" band and played house shows for shits and giggles. Ever heard the original "Shocker on Shock Street"? It's ****ing hilarious! Then they re-did and took out the goofy screams and got serious.
    jibran
    ProgJazzMath wrote: These guys were better when they were a joke band.
    jw_4256
    I like this kind of music but i gotta say the 9.7 overall rating really suprised me
    ExOblivione
    Lion_Slicer wrote: ilovesyu wrote: I love how people on here respect what other people are into. oh wait they don't. I find it rather enjoyable despite it not being exactly what I'm into. I for one DO respect your right to subject your ears to obscene noises I would consider just below swallowing a can of Mace on the enjoyment scale. Go about your day.
    +10
    Lion_Slicer
    Xomar
    These guys are a total joke. I mean yeah, it's hilarious, but it gets old after 15 minutes. "Pianos Can Be Murder" is a perfect example of what this band is about- funny, but annoying