Inhuman Rampage review by DragonForce

• Released: Jan 9, 2006
DragonForce: Inhuman Rampage

I saw an interview of these guys in a magazine and I was intregued. They themselves told the interviewer "The human brain can't handle our solos" or something along those lines. I am quite partial to a good solo (e.g. Kirk Hammet's solo on Master Of Puppets) so I thought I would go out and get they're album. I put it into the CD player and the first track, Through The Fire And The Flames, absolutely blew me away! They play really, really quickly but still keep a tune you can try and keep up with.

They're lyrics seem a little weak (they repeat through the fire and the flames alot, throughout the album) and '80s metal cliche but the singer generally has a good voice. You look at modern metal these days and, though I like it, I can't say they're is great singing. It came as a surprise to hear this kind of voice with this kind of music, but I think the contrast is managed well.

My overall impression is simply this: it all kinda sounds the same. Though the notes the guitarists are playing change, it all revolves around the exact same timing and speed. Also though I say the singer has a good voice, he doesn't change his tone that often! If you were to take his lyrics from one song and replace them with another I'm sure there would not be much difference to the song. It is a shame to be honest they are excellent musicians, one guitarist even won "The Young Dimebag Darrel" trophy in 2004. Songs that stand out would be "Through The Fire And The Flames" and "The Flame Of Youth." Repeating flame again, anyway, it's worth a go for speed metal fans.

tepagasco
    Dragonforce is modern power metal at it's finest. It's true that the rising vocals and galloping riffs are somewhat predictable, but in true power metal form, the real draw for music like this is it's passion, energy and (if i may coin a phrase) fist-pumpability. Don't resist the urge to air guitar; it's what the band would want.