Inhuman Rampage review by DragonForce

• Released: Jan 9, 2006
DragonForce: Inhuman Rampage

DragonForce claim that they are their own sub-genre of metal, being extreme power metal, and while a claim like that would sound boastful and arrogant for most bands, on hearing Inhuman Rampage it's fairly easy to see why these guys aren't like other power metal bands, or other bands in general. Hyperspeed guitars, double bass assaults, cheesy fantasy based lyrics, all the typical features of a power metal band are evident in DragonForce's music, however these guys just take these to a new level with their unrelenting tempo (the title of the album seems rather ironic, with their music sounding almost inhumanly fast) and the soaring vocals of ZP. Herman Li and Sam Totman may not technically be the best guitarists around but they sure can play. The only bad thing I can think of about this album is that after hearing all of the tracks more than a few times, they begin to sound rather similar, which is remedied by limiting your amount of DragonForce exposure.

Something that most of my non metal loving fans intially failed to grasp is that there is not some hidden meaning behind these lyrics, infact there is no meaning at all, DragonForce use the formidible vocal talents of ZP Theart as another instrument, and once they understood this they appreciated the music a whole lot more. The lyrics are of the typical cheesy variety, a whole lot about swords and steel, fire and flames and lots of darkness, but then again if you are paying close attention to the vocals you probably aren't paying enough attention to the rest of the band. As mentioned earlier ZP is a talented singer who doesnt fail to use his entire range over the album, however too many people get caught up in the bad lyrics to appreciate his vocal talent.

Inhuman Rampage is the third album from DragonForce, and easily the best offering to date, with the band really living up to their extreme power metal tag. This album is great for most occasions, and is alot of fun, but the songs begin to sound the same after a while, however it is still well worth the purchase for fans of power metal. I don't really want to pick a favourite song, as they are all great but if I had to it would be Revolution Deathsquad, which was the first song I heard from DragonForce, and the one that convinced me to buy this album (and subsequently the others), and if this album was stolen or lost, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Iceman_x2
    DragonForce is one of my fav. bands ever. Herman Li is the fastest guitar player ive ever seen and Sam is really good too...Ive never heard something so fast in my life....
    SuperRitsu
    To hell with the people who say they suck! These guys are THE best band ever! I kinda expected them as another screamo metal band, so i tried listenin to them. To my surpirse, the singer never screamed at all. I would never expect a "feelgood" metal band. I think i read about them being feel good in one of these comments but i cant find, quote, and agree with him/her. YAY FOR DRAGONFORCE!
    ledzppln1969
    just bought this album today. its really good. i agree that the lyrics are cheesy (it is power metal, after all. what do you expect?) and it does run together after a while, but those are also strengths. its refreshing to hear lyrics that arent about death, killing, suicide, ex-girlfriends, slitting wrists and all that. theres nothing wrong with some fantasy lyrics now and then. also, they are incredibly fast. yes, its repetitive at times, but i cant play that fast, and i know most people cant, and once again, its refreshing to hear. herman li and tom are great players, just listen to them. the fact that ZP doesnt scream like EVERYONE else is a definite plus. personally, theyre a breath of fresh air in an era when so many bands sound the same.