Inhuman Rampage review by DragonForce

• Released: Jan 9, 2006
DragonForce: Inhuman Rampage

Dragonforce is a band based almost entirely on it's speed and precision, a band that has produced some of the most technical music since bands like Tool or Dream Theater. Their unique sound builds upon Sam Totman and Herman Li's lightning fast, and sometimes cheezy, dual guitar work. The guitar solos are epic and blazingly fast, yet most of the songs tend to sound very similar to one another. However, the keyboarding is stepped up a notch as Vadim takes his musical prowess to a new level on the album. While the band hasn't changed it's sound since Sonic Firestorm, they still create one of the most original sounds in music today.

There is undoubtable fanasty and epic stories about mystical creatures, video game adventures, and the subject matter of a typical Dio song. Although they may not be the most creative lyrics, the background singing adds melody and harmony to the already uplifting and inspirational song tones. While not the most original songwriter, ZP Theart follows in the footsteps of Dio, Helloween, and Maiden (in terms of singing/songwriting).

Placing themselves in the "extreme metal" genre is actually a reasonable call by the band. Dragonforce plays with such agility and accuracy; they really have created their own genre. Those who are more satisfied by simply technicality as opposed to true musicianship should buy this album immediately. Inhuman Rampage marks the beginning of a new genre: the self-entitled "extreme metal" genre that compares gracefully to Trivium and In Flames.

Deliriumbassist
    wtf does everyone bang on about Herman Li? It's Sam Totman who writes the songs, and he's just as good as Li
    Styx
    Well in fact the first song i ever played on my bass was For Whom The Bell Tolls (i hope i spell it right)from Metallica... and it was very easy
    NeverMore_1
    Couldn't agree more with the guy above. It's pointless leaving comments here if you don't like the band. I mean, yes, of course everyone can have their own opinion, but if you truly don't like a band, best way (and most mature) to show that is to ignore their reviews and leave it to the people who actually DO like them. It always seems that the "Punk/rock" fans come in and flame off at metal, when "metalheads" are mature enough to just leave the genres that they dislike alone. sigh* Anyway, Dragonforce are incredible. Simple. Herman is an amazing player, as is Sam, and both great song writers. The bands instrumental skills never cease to amaze, but catchy tunes are also something that deserve recogniton. Great album. 7.5/10. Valley of the Damned was far better though.. In my opinion.. lol
    Shinozoku
    Odin wrote: Shinozoku wrote: ilovethinlizzy wrote: JESUS CHRIST these guys are arrogant twats. They're music is so boring and repetative not to mention a complete joke and cliche in itself.Herman Li knows **** all about music. I was reading an interview and he said the Clash sucked( ??!!!??) and that punk did nothing for guitars. Ohh and they have way tooo many solos and awful lyrics. ARGGGG!!!! The Clash DO suck and punk is a disgrace to guitar music everywhere. Ever notice that a beginner who has picked up the guitar for the first time can play a punk song? Have you ever seen a beginner pick up a guitar and play a Dragonforce song? I haven't. I've been playing for 3 years and I haven't been able to play a Dragonforce song. And yes, I practice alot. Why do people constantly bash all these bands that are clearly awesome? I mean, do they have anythign ebtter to do? And why are they even at a review or news report about a band they don't like anyway? If you think they're a waste of time, why are YOU wasting YOUR time talking about how much you think they suck? Go learn another Green Day tune. You saying The Clash suck is your opinion. If someone loves The Clash, and says they are awesome, that is their opinion. Neither is fact, so neither is wrong. You need to accept that other people have different tastes in music to you. The fact that a begginer cannot play a dragonforce song is irrelevant. That is a stupid argument. I personally do not like Dragonforce. They are infinitely better musicians than me, but I still do not like the music they make. Before you jump on me, I can say that in a review about them. Reviews are all about opinions, you'd be stupid to expect every one of them here to be praising the band.
    Indeed, you are correct. It is my opinion (as well as the opinion of many guitarists and other musicians who appreciate technical proficiency of thier instruments) that they suck. I was vague in my comment. When I said they suck, I was refferring to thier technical musical ability, strummed power chords... and more strummed power chords. It is true that this makes up most heavy metal music as well, but you must consider the many other elements that make up the music. Now, The Clash as songwriters aren't that sucky. I've only heard a small bit of thier music, and can tell why people like them (as well as Green Day, Blink 182, etc), but I don't. I admit I was wrong to say they suck, I should have simply stated that they didn't know as much about thier instruments(or at least how to play them skillfully) as sayyy... Dragonforce, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Children of Bodom, Pink Floyd... The list goes on. I'm well aware of other opinions as well. I actually frequently defend technically proficient bands on several boards, but I'm usually much more docile. But when you compare a punk band with a band that embraces good guitar/drum/keyboard/bass playing, it just seems kinda wrong to me. I do not really expect everyone to praise the band, I just hate it when (as I stated before) people only come to a review like this to talk trash about the band that the review is focused on. It's pointless and stupid. If you watch me, you won't see me going to an emo or punk board shrieking about how much the bands in that genre "suck" (or how much I don't like them, as is the usual translation of "suck" in message boards). I argue with the people who only wish to make trouble. Going back to the beginning of this paragraph, I don't expect everybody here to praise Dragonforce, just have a little respect for the hard work and disceplin(sp?) it took these guys to get as good as they are and to have released thier third album. Now, you could throw that last comment back on me about punk and emo bands and such, and you would be making another good point, but the main difference between Green Day being successful and Dragonforce being successful is that: GD are rich and famous because they write catchy songs for the mainstream public. DF may not be as rich or famous, but they have acquired a fan base playing thier instruments well, which you simply cannot do in the mainstream. The public want music that doesn't take much effort to listen to, and bands with good musicians don't make that kind of music. I'll close my argument here, because this has turned into a rant. Sorry for any trouble or misunderstanding.
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    Jawshuwa wrote: Got half-way through this and decided most people defending DragonForce haven't listened to many other bands. Originality ? Sure, no one else plays video games with guitars. Herman, the fastest guitar player ? Roflmfao. I've been playing for three months and can play the intro to Through the Fire and Flames without busting a sweat. They have a right to be arrogant ? No, once they become an enormous influence to many upcoming bands, write something with at least half of the complexity of, say, Dream Theater or Metallica's "...And Justice For All" album, they can be arrogant.
    Nice... please post a video on youtube.com of yourself playing the intro (even though it's not that hard...)...
    Warheart1188
    Uh, heres my review of Dragonforce's "Inhuman Rampage". On musical level, it wont appeal to all. It's speed and high level of insane twin guitar playing is phenomenal but most people will think, " Oh these guys are just fast metal that doesnt make sense"...which they are, but they sure as hell let you know that they know what they're doing.. This album definitely brings back the spirit of old-80's bands like Maiden, Priest,and lot of 90's and todays power metal bands like Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Rhapsody, etc. Herman Li and Sam Totman definitely steal the show with their over the top fretwork and clever use of the Whammy pedal and neat whammy bar tricks. Compared to their previous efforts, "Valley of the Damned" and " Sonic Firestorm", this album definitely kicks their ass in terms of speed. For hardcore power metal bands, or shred guitarists in search of new heroes, look no further than Dragonforce. But for everone else, this is just another band to hate, or to ogle at when you watch their videos and never give a second thought to.
    kickoutthejamss
    haha. wow. you guys get all mad about this shit. heres my "review" Dagonforce kicks ass. and lots of it. if you listen to throough the fire and flames you'll see that they actually use a little thing called "talent". the vocals, cheesy as they may be, are not repetitive guttoral growls into a mic, and to be produced, require this "talent" i spoke of earlier. and anybody who said herman and sam suck, has obviouusly not played a guitar, or listens to too much hXc/emo bullshit that i could play in my mothers womb. now, am i saying that heramn and sam are better than names such as batio and satriani? no. most definetly not, but they are very accomplished and talented musicians. now, for the flaming of the idiots. the clash did nothing for guitars, or punk altogether for that matter. are the clash a innovative band? for their time, sure, but in my opinion they suck. adn the idiot that said he could play the intro to through the fire and flames? yes, has anyone listened to the intro? its about as hard to play as american idiot. i could play that after my first week of picking up a guitar. ive been playing for about 3 1/2 years. and whoever said herman li knows nothing about music is obviously been taking lessons for too long. herman li is self taught, and id like to see any jackass "PuNk ReeBeL" teach themselves to play a guitar. oh yeah, i forgot to review the cd. its kickass, best songs are though the fire and flame of the youth.
    ChrissyChiChi
    I used to hate these guys, it was too cheesy for me but recently it just clicked with me and i love it!That said, some stuff needs to be cleared up here.Their sound is very much studio produced,they are not actually that great guitarists. Ive seen them live and unfortunately whilst they put on a good show they really cannot keep up with themslves during any of the solos (im a bit of a guitar snob and listen closely),just look around and find a video of them playing live or giving a lesson. So i really dont know what the reviewer who said they dont miss any notes was on about...it is a bit of a dissapointment because part of the appeal is that they seem very good,however i still love em and always will,just seems silly everyone with calling them the best when they are kinda frauds .
    DementedHippie
    poor sam is so underrated, if Herman Li weren't there he would be considered like the best guitarist of his generation or whatever. And he's the sexy one.
    Paroxysm
    They're fun to listen to in small amount. There are much better power metal bands out there.
    Gas Mask
    I'll admit they're really good guitarists, I just can't get into it. Not just the cheezy vocal work and lyricism, its just missing a groove. It just seems like a jumbled mash when its all through. Theres no hook that draws you in, and makes you remember it forever. Kudos on the skills though, just seems pretty weak.
    Lost Hippie
    definitely some of the greatest guitarist in the world. Oh and jashuwa. Bullshit. Palm muted zeros don't count as speed.
    Odin
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    Hahahahaha, it's funny reading all of the Herman Li bashing comments knowing that none of you can play any better. Please, gimme a video of you playing Through the Fire, Operation Ground and Pound, or Revolution Deathsquad.co
    AmIEvil?
    i like the playing but i cant stand the singer. honestly the shinging would suit some eurodance songs better. but theyre pretty skilled technically, herman li is pretty bad ass, he can do lotta weird stuff with his ax but whoever said the clash sucked is a moron, they were totally swell. and that herman li has said that the clash sucked is really arrogant.
    tormentedbyu
    this is a review page..... ~.~ theres supposed to be good AND bad reviews, so stop getting pissed off and saying things like "if you dont like them, then don't post here" jesus... anyway, they really ARE great imo... sam and herman really compliment eachother... and i think theyre BOTH really good players, not just herman. (even though yeah, hes pretty bad-ass) yeah, the lyrics are cheesy, but damn, its just fun music... whats wrong with that every once in a while? i mean, just because its not about torture or rape doesnt mean the music is bad... does it? (wow... bass-ackwards much? lol) not that theres anything wrong with songs like that... hell im listening to behemoth right now... point is that ur really missing the entire point of dragonforce if you think theyre "too fast", "too cheesy", or really "too" anything else *shrug*
    JimweiZERO
    ilovethinlizzy wrote: "JESUS CHRIST these guys are arrogant twats. They're music is so boring and repetative not to mention a complete joke and cliche" ----- oh my god i can totally relate to those who think this band is cliche. i mean, they use guitars and drums and bass and a keyboard, oh my god, how bands have used those? i mean, they could at least TRY to be original by using buckets and wooden spoons and to top all off they actually have LYRICS, i mean how overused are they?? i mean they could have a dying bear making noises or something. --- serious message: music is music and can (and should) be tolerated, everything is cliche nowadays but to put it in a form that kicks ass is rare. harmonies aren't new, dragonforce write awesome 2 part harmonies but could they write harmonies for dozens of different instruments as there was a few hundred years ago? if anything, harmonies have gone backwards in mainstream music O.o
    emohunter136
    dude, herman li owns any other guitarist in a band (i.e. not yngwie or satriani etc.)
    METSOAD
    true there, but there are bands who write better, but not faster, guitar music such as Iron Maiden, Metallica and Muse
    Shinozoku
    And all metal with screaming is not screamo. Screamo is emo bands trying to be metal by shouting thier heads off (ie: The Used). Screaming metal bands are usually Death/Black metal or something inspired by that (I'm not adding hardcore because that is a metalized version of punk). Oh, and I forgot to mention, punk did ONE good thing for metal, and that's inspire breakneck speeds.
    nick9790
    one of the best new metal albums in years. I like screamo but this is a nice change, the harmonies and vocals are insane. This album will be great for a long time.
    The_Trooper14
    well Punk can shut the **** up! METAL FOREVER! Through damnation we ride sign of the times bleeding lies! Thunder on high look to the sky!!