Inhuman Rampage review by DragonForce

• Released: Jan 9, 2006
DragonForce: Inhuman Rampage

Hearing Through the Fire And The Flames was one of the most jaw dropping occasions of my life. I went out and got this album, along with the rest of them, and I quickly came to realise that Through the Fire And The Flames is nothing compared to some other songs on this album. I'd never come across Dragonforce before, and I cursed the amount of thime I'd wasted not listening to these guys. These guys are proper artists, every single one of them. Z.P Theart, in particular, is an astonishing performer, his vocals are unmatched, and he is at his best on this album. Herman Li and Sam Totman are possibly the best guitarists on the planet. Vadim Pruzhanov is an excellent keyboard player, and Dave Mackintosh is an excellent drummer. The bassist, Adrian Lambert, only appears on a few tracks, but his cameos are awesome. However, I'm going to be as critical as I can (because proper reviews need to be). The drumming quickly begins to make you feel as if you've heard that beat before (you have on the previous track). The guitar solos can become somewhat drowned by the sheer longevity and quickness of them. Sometimes slow solos work better than lightening-fast ones. But Vad's keyboards are always a refreshing thing to hear, and Theart rarely puts a foot wrong on this record. What is most refreshing and original is the last track, Trail Of Broken Hearts. It'a powerful rock ballad, with some excellent melodic, slower than usual soloing (again, a good thing). But you still can't help but marvel at the raw talent these guys possess.

These type of lyrics can sometimes get quite cheesy, but they tend not to on this album. Earlier DF outings, you felt as if the same theme was being stretched for a whole album. But Theart manages to make the lyrics sound largely improved, and when different members of the band contribute to the lyrics, it gives the songs some range of topic and style. And to top it all off, Theart's powerful voice adds pleasingly to these lyrics.

This is probably the best DF album yet, and it signals that there is more to come. However I don't like the way the bands talents are being used as a gimmick now (e.g. the Operation Ground And Pound video, which blatantly exploits the talents of Li and Totman). The best songs are Revolution Deathsquad, Storming The Burning Fields, Body Breakdown(best vocal performance on album), Cry For Eternity and Trail Of Broken Hearts. For some people, it can and will get boring, but pulling this off the rack once in a while is an intense experience. Recommended for guitar players especially.

Griff thestoker
    i saw a track on kerrang. are they doing some sort of tenacious d esque parody of heavy metal or are these guys for real???? how much more can they pump the guitar. just because they play fast doesn't make a good song. sort it out lads