Inhuman Rampage review by DragonForce

• Released: Jan 9, 2006
DragonForce: Inhuman Rampage

That was the first word that could pop into my head when I heard the twin opening riffs of Herman Li and Sam Totman. They are quite possibly without a doubt some of if not the fastest guitar players on the planet. The opening song, "Through The Fire And Flames" really gets you into the album. What's cool about it is that you hear the harmony between the electric and acoustic guitar, which is rare in today's metal. The solos these two guys pull off are incomprehensible. It's like taking a Metallica or AC/DC (respectively two of my most favorite bands of all time) and putting them on fast forward. My favorite solo(s) on the album is probably the one on "Operation Ground And Pound". The last solo of Li is off the charts. When he said "our solos are incomprehensible to the human mind" he did nothing but speak the honest truth. Last but not least, I also tip my hat to the drummer and keyboardist, Dave Mackintosh and Vadim Pruzhanov, who lay down the most awesome rhythm sets in metal today.

ZP Theart sings about one thing that I haven't heard any other lead singer except Bruce Dickenson of Iron Maiden sing about: fantasy. Not many singers sing about that sort of stuff anymore. Why not is what I want to know. I mean, it'a creative and it usually sounds very good. A lot of people say that he can't sing and that he shouldn't be fronting DragonForce. What I would like to know is, who could be better? At least he not like the rest of the other metal singers, who just scream their heads off and no one can tell what they are saying. Also, not many people know that Totman wrote nearly all of the songs on the album. This shows that a guitarist can be mind-blowing and write very creative songs.

The first time I heard DragonForce, it was on the 5 minute music video of the song "Operation Ground and Pound". It completely blew my mind away! These guys are not only fast, but they are incredible musicians. Li and Totman aren't like the other metal guitarists who just bash 3 chords and think it's cool and sounds amazing, and ZP doesn't just scream his head off like the other heavy metal singers. This band is not like any of the other metal bands out there. They are super talented and a "DragonForce" (sorry for the bad pun) to be reckoned with. I now have a new found respect for the new metal genre thanks to these guys (I am an enormous fan of 70's and 80's rock, such as AC/DC, my #1 favorite band, and Ted Nugent). They have opened my eyes to a whole new metal experience.

janecoffin27
    DragonForce is decent, but I don't think they deserve the frothing praise they get. As technically proficient as they are, their songs just don't click for me, probably because they're quite long (though there's nothing wrong with that) and repetitive. I'm all for long songs and long solos when they're done well, but shredding pentatonic scales for three measures, making random noises for one measure, and repeating ad infinitum does not make a good solo. The whole "uplifting chorus" deal is reminiscent of "flower metal," not power metal. It's unfortunate that the genre is polluted with such choruses, as I appreciate a more classic approach. Some would debate that what I enjoy listening to is thus "traditional heavy/power metal" but nevertheless, there's much much better power metal out there. Check out Jag Panzer and Raising Fear. It's not to say DragonForce isn't talented though. I think it's indisputable, but they're still overrated.
    wolf1990
    Well i think any metal music has fantastical lyrics, or at least have some fantastical themes. Yes the lyrics can be rubbish sometimes, but a good song doesn't always have the best lyrics in the world. Take Trivium's 'Pull Harder' for example - half of the lyrics are completely random in the pre-chorus. Solo's on this album are great!! I've just spent the better half of christmas trying to learn one - it gives all guitarists something to aspire to in the long run
    kingjimmys
    Fantasy lyrics go all the way back to Led Zeppelin's Untitled. "the battle of evermore" was about lord of the rings and robert plant will be the first one to tell you that "stairway to heaven" was actually about anything. a good song doesn't have to have a message or meaning, and if anybody says those weren't good songs, that is blasphemy to THE ROCK GODS.