Sonic Firestorm review by DragonForce

• Released: May 11, 2004
DragonForce: Sonic Firestorm

Extreme power-metal. The beautifully epic/fantasy lyrics, combined with the most talented twin guitar assault, and, strangely enough, with the arrival of ex-Bal-Sagoth drummer Dave Mackintosh, for the first time in history of Power Metal, we could see the classic death metal drumming technique known as "blast beat" merging with the current Power Metal motif. The guitar work of Herman Li and Sam Totman is some of the most amazing twin guitar work I've ever had the pleasure to hear. Not only is it extremely fast, but awesomely technical, and so very well structured! Everyone of the five current members is also a backup vocalist (except for ZP Theart, the lead vocalist).

The lyrics, epic and fantasy-like, remind me a bit of some Maiden stuff. Well, the whole sound is a bit maiden-ish, but in my mind, much improved! Their lyrics are beautiful, very inspiring, and they go with the epic run of the guitar and drums fantastically, creating one hell of a sound! And as for Theart's vox skills. Wow, he is one awesome singer! Holds his notes perfectally, the perfect ammount of vibrato, perfect pitch, perfect voice!

The only artist I'll say it really compares with are Iron Maiden, but they surpass them with their unmatched musical talent. Most impressive songs on Sonic Firestorm, Prepare For War, Soldiers Of The Wasteland, Cry Of The Brave and Revelations. All top notch songs, I recommend you check them out. I wish I could criticise this band, just a bit, to make this review look more proffesional but once you people have checked them out, you'll agree, it's a strugle to put a finger on anything negative. If this album was stolen/lost, I would mope about it for a while in my room, find the person that stole it, rip their nipples off, then buy a new one or resort to all my songs on limewire. This album is not easy to get in Australia.