Sonic Firestorm review by DragonForce

• Released: May 11, 2004
DragonForce: Sonic Firestorm

Sonic Firestorm is Dragonforce's second full length album. I find it far more satisfying than their first attempt, and I can see their clearly defined reformation into the epitome of a great power metal band. They do well at incorporating melodic and the occasional speed metal into their songs, and every track blows you away with blazing fast leads and spectacular drumming. Herman Li, lead guitarist, shreds the hell out of his guitar in every solo. He is hands down one of the most talented guitarists alive. My Spirit Will Go On is likely his finest solo on the album. The production quality of the album is fair. I would have liked to have the bassier part of the drums more noticable, and the bass is also a little tough to hear at times.

With power metal comes power metal lyrics. Singing about riding through the silver moon light to face the endless armies of evil. But, there is some lyrical variance such as in Dawn Over A New World. Quite powerful. On occasion the lyrics in this album hint to a sort of spiritual message, but most of it is up to your own interpretation. TP Theart, the lead vocalist, has an amazing and powerful voice. Once of the finest new voices I have heard in a long time. Dawn Over A New World brags his talent.

Sonic Firestorm is currently one of my favorite CDs. I listen to it more than any other power metal CD I have ever owned. If it were lost or stolen, then I would surely get a new copy. I would say that Dragonforce has the most likeness with Stratovarius, but with less keyboards. They both have a great power metal approach and really blow you away. My favorite three songs on this album are Fury Of The Storm, Dawn Over A New World, and My Spirit Will Go On. This CD is completely worth the money. If you want insane guitar solos and neverending dual bass this is for sure the next CD you need to buy.

ss311
    What a lot of horsecrap: 'Singing about riding through the silver moon light to face the endless armies of evil'. Great guitarists though. Crap lyrics.
    ironmaidenrulez
    dude, they sing about fantacy and spritul wars, don't like it, don't listen to it, but thats what ur gonna get on sprit music
    perkiset
    Herman Li IS great, but don't forget that Sam Totman shares pretty close to equal solo time with herman, so it should be dual praises. I don't know as I'd call herman the lead either, they both play lead parts, alot of times together to create sweet harmonies with the melody. rythem guitar is alot of times just added tracks on the recordings.