Twilight Dementia review by DragonForce

• Released: Sep 13, 2010
DragonForce: Twilight Dementia

Twilight Dementia; Dragonforce's first live album says everything that millions of fans have been screaming for years. They can play, and can they ever. The set-list includes; Heroes of our Time, Operation Ground and Pound, Reasons to Live, Fury of the Storm, Fields of Despair, Starfire, Soldiers of the Wasteland, My Spirit Will Go On, Where Dragons Rule, The Last Journey Hom, Valley of the Damned, Strike of the Ninja, and Through the Fire and the Flames. Each song is performed with sonic precision paying exacting tribute to its studio glory. This is the album every DF fan has been waiting for as the millions of critics out there can be silenced. The mixing on this album is very impressive for a live album and is an enjoyable alternative to the sometimes overcrowded sound of the studio albums.

If you're a big enough fan to buy this album then you know the lyrics :P. I give the lyrics 8 not because of their literal context but because of how effective the vocals are as another instrument. Due to Zp's very intense singing and "enthusiasm" his voice sometimes goes in and out on very high notes but this is to be expected in a live show when there is a lot of moving and crowd interaction. In my honest opinion this is the weakest point on a very strong album. This is not to say his vocals are in any way lacking.

I love this album as it came at a time after ZP Theart departed the band. And for those who have seen Dragonforce in concert, and even those who haven't, this is a great refresher and a tribute to their accomplishments with him. I also don't know how it could be stolen on account of an iTunes purchase but I wouldn't mind a physical copy :). On a final note, I'm glad they listed Through the Fire and the Flames last. Maybe not for the reason I think but it is nice for people to listen to other perhaps less appreciated tracks and gain respect for them because they certainly do not sound the same.

nasedase
    Diego. wrote: Nerdy band for those who play rpg.
    You goddamn best believe it. I love DF.
    Oddsbodkins
    Diego. wrote: Nerdy band for those who play rpg.
    Hate to say it but...haters gonna hate. Album is distinctly meh for me due to the lack of variety in their songs, but they are a very fun band in a live setting and they manage to convey it fairly well here.
    nasedase
    nasedase wrote: Diego. wrote: Nerdy band for those who play rpg. You goddamn best believe it. I love DF.
    AND RPGS.
    hackahobo
    What's great about this album, beyond the fact that it is another ear-orgasming record, is that the only thing DF haters can say now is that their songs sound the same/lyrics suck. The "thei cnt plei live hurr" dispute can be put to rest with this release
    Hells.Mascot
    henkka_potku wrote: The worst release name ever. I mean, Twilight Dementia? What is that even supposed to mean? What does that have to do with live albums? Nor Dragonforce? wut
    They get kraaaaazzee when da sun goes down
    Noremak
    Stupid Guitar Hero...YOU RUINED DRAGONFORCE!!! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
    squallstrife111
    i watched them play live and it was just really bad..... sorry to all the fans but they really cant lay their songs live... cant think of any other reason that their guitars were turned down so low the crowd had to struggle to hear them.....
    Xomar
    haha, yep, rpg- i used to listen to these guys when i played runescape back in middleschool lol
    SmittyMan90
    ExOblivione wrote: Diego. wrote: Nerdy band for those who play rpg. I'm offended. I play an RPG and I don't stoop as low as to listen to Dragonforce.
    LOL!!
    ThePushMan
    I wonder if this will have long bouts of drunken silence similar to their last live performance I went to.
    thrashmonkey
    Noremak wrote: Stupid Guitar Hero...YOU RUINED DRAGONFORCE!!! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
    +1 Heard some of the songs and ZP's voice isn't nearly as good as on the records, don't know why. I saw them on this tour and he was way better at that show than on this album. Maybe they're pissed at him for leaving so they chose a performance that would make him look bad, i dunno. Other than that though, sounds good.
    TsarBomba
    NejiHyuga900 wrote: What is with all of the negative comments?
    As opposed to...? I kind of assumed that Dragonforce were just a guilty pleasure for anyone that actually listens to power metal or appreciates virtuosity.
    ExOblivione
    Deathlock257
    bustapr wrote: Ive always respected them, and I love theyre playing, and Im amazed they can actually play their stuff. But I wont be buying this or any Dragonforce album since every single song sounds exactly the same...
    For a band thats gotten boo'd of the stage they sure get popular. Every single song sounds the exact same though... I mean sure there alright, but come on...
    guitfiddleRR
    I actually listened to this and to be honest, it is alrite. The solos and playing is DEFINITELY not 100 percent accurate to the album, but its legit. Granted it is the same old repetative crap, but its performed well
    Faudeth
    EpiExplorer wrote: Andrew2k wrote: Are you sure its 8.7 not like 4.7? I think there way overrated.. Herman Li should play with Gus G and hear a real power metal player, Gus G is god and.. Herman Li.. is okay Herman Li is a better player, but Gus is a better musician. IT DOES MAKE SENSE.
    Sam Totman is a better guitarist than Herman...Gus G. is and always will be the best in Power Metal. Herman Li is too flashy. DragonForce is still great, but they don't stand up to Gus G. at all.
    chaosbreaker
    Since when has dragonforce made sense.
    EpiExplorer
    Herman Li is a better player, but Gus is a better musician. IT DOES MAKE SENSE.
    katz_ug
    I look forward to getting this. I've seen DF mess up badly on stage and all but oh well. Really would love to see the precision they have on the records maintained live..
    Andrew2k
    drawnacrol
    Saw them live on the sonic firestorm tour years ago and everything was flawless, their an incredible live band in a small venue, don't like them enough anymore to buy this album but a DVD would be entertaining, their ****ed now without another singer
    Amuro Jay
    EpiExplorer wrote: And nerds everywhere rejoice in the streets. After listening a to some tracks, it amazes me that they can actually play their own music, let alone play it well. By the way, the cheese is spectacular.
    Keep in mind that this album was probably recorded after they acquired in-ear monitors, so their shitty performances that they became known for were from before that time. I used to love cheese.
    EpiExplorer
    They like Edward cullen, maybeh.. lulz.
    bustapr
    henkka_potku
    NejiHyuga900
    I love the setlist in their live album. Since DragonForce created their own live album, I decided to convert my TTFAF Live GP/PT tabs from the one they did in Graspop 2006 to the one in this album.