Twilight Dementia review by DragonForce

• Released: Sep 13, 2010
DragonForce: Twilight Dementia

Well, here it is. The long awaited Dragonforce live album. I have to admit that I was a little bit excited when I heard that Dragonforce were releasing their first live album on the tour that I saw them on. This album was supposed to be the ultimate end of the Dragonforce controversy, referring to the quality of their live performance. I have to say, I was very impressed when I saw them live, and this recorded live performance is not bad either. Granted, not many people can listen to Dragonforce for a long while because of their repetitiveness, but speaking for the performance itself, it was not bad. The solo sections were the weakest part of the album, I thought. The rhythm performances and drum performances were pretty much just like the record, but the solos were a little choppy. The album was also mixed very well. Many senior musicians I have talked to say that recording bands like Dragonforce live would be extremely difficult because of the speed, any sort of echo or misplaced recording equipment would easily make a live recording sound terrible. It seems as though they put some honest effort into this, as far as recording and mixing, and for that they deserve credit.

Everything has already been said about Dragonforce lyrics themselves. Repetative, Cheesy, Epic, Epically Repetitive, the list goes on. I will speak just for this live performance. The performance is definitely sufficient enough for a live record. It is not quite as strong as the studio versions, but that is to be expected. One element I do enjoy is there is a lot of swearing from late lead singer ZP Theart. That was his signature stage move, and it reminded me of when I saw them live. He does make the record seem authentic. The few parts where bassist Frederic Leclercq do a line of lead vocal also make the performance seem authentic.

So, does the long awaited question finally get answered with this album? My answer is yes. I actually saw them on the North American tour they took before taking the English tour this was recorded on (so technically I didn't see them on this actual tour), and their live performance honestly impressed me. From what I know, most of their bad concert reviews came from the "Inhuman Rampage" tour, my bet is that they made an effort to step up their live performance for the next album. If you are a die hard Dragonforce fan, this album is definitely a necessity. Although, if you're a low to moderate fan like me, you may not listen to it a lot. I may get it one day, but listening to it online is fine for now.

the_thief
    Haha, I guess everyone's 12 once.
    Paramecium302
    the_thief wrote: nasedase wrote: nasedase wrote: Diego. wrote: Nerdy band for those who play rpg. You goddamn best believe it. I love DF. AND RPGS. Haha, I guess everyone's 12 once.
    And then either people grow up and end their life t 26 by getting married, playing Madden games and only liking old music, OR they hang on to the part inside of us that made us feel alive as a kid, and combine it with who we become as we mature. That's what DF represents... for me.