Twilight Dementia Review

7.7
 8.4
 6.9
Twilight Dementia Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2010

Sound: Twilight Dementia; Dragonforce's first live album says everything that millions of fans have been screaming for years. They can play, and can they ever. The set-list includes; Heroes of our Time, Operation Ground and Pound, Reasons to Live, Fury of the Storm, Fields of Despair, Starfire, Soldiers of the Wasteland, My Spirit Will Go On, Where Dragons Rule, The Last Journey Hom, Valley of the Damned, Strike of the Ninja, and Through the Fire and the Flames. Each song is performed with sonic precision paying exacting tribute to its studio glory. This is the album every DF fan has been waiting for as the millions of critics out there can be silenced. The mixing on this album is very impressive for a live album and is an enjoyable alternative to the sometimes overcrowded sound of the studio albums. // 9

Lyrics: If you're a big enough fan to buy this album then you know the lyrics :P. I give the lyrics 8 not because of their literal context but because of how effective the vocals are as another instrument. Due to Zp's very intense singing and "enthusiasm" his voice sometimes goes in and out on very high notes but this is to be expected in a live show when there is a lot of moving and crowd interaction. In my honest opinion this is the weakest point on a very strong album. This is not to say his vocals are in any way lacking. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this album as it came at a time after ZP Theart departed the band. And for those who have seen Dragonforce in concert, and even those who haven't, this is a great refresher and a tribute to their accomplishments with him. I also don't know how it could be stolen on account of an iTunes purchase but I wouldn't mind a physical copy :). On a final note, I'm glad they listed Through the Fire and the Flames last. Maybe not for the reason I think but it is nice for people to listen to other perhaps less appreciated tracks and gain respect for them because they certainly do not sound the same. // 9

Twilight Dementia Reviewed by: guitfiddleRR, on october 04, 2010

Sound: Well, here it is. The long awaited Dragonforce live album. I have to admit that I was a little bit excited when I heard that Dragonforce were releasing their first live album on the tour that I saw them on. This album was supposed to be the ultimate end of the Dragonforce controversy, referring to the quality of their live performance. I have to say, I was very impressed when I saw them live, and this recorded live performance is not bad either. Granted, not many people can listen to Dragonforce for a long while because of their repetitiveness, but speaking for the performance itself, it was not bad. The solo sections were the weakest part of the album, I thought. The rhythm performances and drum performances were pretty much just like the record, but the solos were a little choppy. The album was also mixed very well. Many senior musicians I have talked to say that recording bands like Dragonforce live would be extremely difficult because of the speed, any sort of echo or misplaced recording equipment would easily make a live recording sound terrible. It seems as though they put some honest effort into this, as far as recording and mixing, and for that they deserve credit. // 8

Lyrics: Everything has already been said about Dragonforce lyrics themselves. Repetative, Cheesy, Epic, Epically Repetitive, the list goes on. I will speak just for this live performance. The performance is definitely sufficient enough for a live record. It is not quite as strong as the studio versions, but that is to be expected. One element I do enjoy is there is a lot of swearing from late lead singer ZP Theart. That was his signature stage move, and it reminded me of when I saw them live. He does make the record seem authentic. The few parts where bassist Frederic Leclercq do a line of lead vocal also make the performance seem authentic. // 8

Overall Impression: So, does the long awaited question finally get answered with this album? My answer is yes. I actually saw them on the North American tour they took before taking the English tour this was recorded on (so technically I didn't see them on this actual tour), and their live performance honestly impressed me. From what I know, most of their bad concert reviews came from the "Inhuman Rampage" tour, my bet is that they made an effort to step up their live performance for the next album. If you are a die hard Dragonforce fan, this album is definitely a necessity. Although, if you're a low to moderate fan like me, you may not listen to it a lot. I may get it one day, but listening to it online is fine for now. // 8

Comments