Ultra Beatdown review by DragonForce

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
DragonForce: Ultra Beatdown

Reasons to Live has a very death metal/grindcorish feel intro and then goes on to normal DragonForce and has catchy vocals and good guitars. The guitar solo has real nice slow drumming and some bass and the guitars are slightly less fast than usual but you know, fast isn't everything. Then it goes to fast drumming, unnoticable bass, and real fast guitars again like usual. Heartbreak Armageddon has yet another nice intro and a little guitar solo in the beggining. Then after that it's DragonForce. Then at 3:57 starts a lovely slow part which ends at 5:19 into a normal DragonForce solo. The Last Journey home features some soothing acoustic guitar and fun riffs and is not a DragonForce slow song, but a normal paced song of theirs. It has a nice slow part as well. The Fire Still Burns is pretty average. This one sounds especially like Through the Fire and Flames. Inside the Winter Storm is good has a great intro, and yet another slow part which some classical piano, bass, and vocals, yet it dosen't last very long. It has a great guitar solo. Heroes of our Time has a cool intro, catchy parts, a great solo, and an awesome outro. The Warrior Inside has an epic intro which makes you feel happy and an outro that might make you even she'd a tear of joy. Now the best song in this album is for sure Scars of Yesterday. One of the best DragonForce Intros, great lyrics which are catchy and have a non-fantasy meaning which seems to do something about sorrow and sadness about someone who died. And a real fast solo somewhat like the solo of One by Metallica then an awesome keyboard solo that follow. And a great outro with nintendo sounding keyboards and vocals. Strike of the Ninja has yet, another epic intro, and some awesome guitar riffs and solos and catchy vocals. E.P.M has a real awesome very nintendo-sounding intro but not much is too exciting after that. A Flame for Freedom is an epic DragonForce slow song with awesome keyboards, vocals, and a guitar solo.

The lyrics are, with the exception of Scars of Yesterday, nonsence fantasy lyrics but still the singer has a great voice, in the studio and live, and the vocals are catchy throughout the album. If the lyrics weren't fantasy nonsence in every song then it would be perfect.

The most impressive songs are Scars of Yesterday, A Flame for Freedom, Inside the Winter Storm, and Strike of the Ninja. Yes, especially with all the awful artists we have today it is great compared to other artists. I love it because it's just awesome in many ways. I hate about is that again the drums sound almost exactly the same in every song, except in the slow parts, the bass is nearly non-existant, and that the lyrics are fantasy nonsence. I don't have the album yet, although I plan on getting it so when I see DragonForce live in November I'll have something for them to sign if I get the chance. I just heard all the songs off YouTube and MySpace. Overall this is a great album compared to all the crap we have now a days in the music industry and that almost all old great bands are going downhill and that the new stuff emerging is filled with crap, but in the mainstream, this is one of the few great mainstream bands, and you can still find a lot of great stuff in the underground music industry.

.:!j.man!:.
    Dont slate dragonforce, there just like any other power metal band out there doing exactly the same thing over and over again. It wont change, thats how power metal is and always will be!
    LordPino
    It's not as gay as the other albums. Lol. I love the erotic sound of picks raping strings(6)
    pootoob
    Meh. Average cd aye. For my fix of insane guitaring, I tend to listen to Cacophony. Puts these guys to shame in the following departments: speed ability technicality songwriting act ual music lyrics (barely) 'Tis a shame they had a shit singer though.