Ultra Beatdown review by DragonForce

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
DragonForce: Ultra Beatdown

I bought this album anticipating a good follow up to Inhuman Rampage, not expecting this one to be a classic. Everyone seems to have that attitude now-a-days: the next album a band releases will be the best of their career or something. They have really high expectations like for the new Metallica. It was okay but everyone was freaking out. Anyway I listened to this album a few times and thought it was okay but after hearing it many more times I realized this CD is a lot better than I initially thought. The featured track Heroes of Our Time actually isn't too bad like TtFaF was. Reasons to live is the best song on this album hands down and it seems like most people agree with me. A lot of people don't really like Warrior Inside though but I think it is a great track to end an album on. Heartbreak Armageddon has to be the dumbest song title by this band but the song holds it's own despite the title abuse.

ZP is my homeboy. This guy is an incredible vocalist and has the perfect voice for this power thrash genre of DF. Along with leading the band to musical victory, ZP crafts vocal melodies surpassed only by few. His best performance is on Reasons to Live because his whole vocal range is expressed. Warrior Inside is his second best but the ending to Heroes of Our Time was a little too predictable. The epic lyrics about battles and fighting through life where the sun shall rise again sometimes make me laugh but without such obscure lyrics it just wouldn't be Dragonforce.

The thing that annoys me the most about DF actually wasn't perpetrated by the band but by RoadRunner Records liscencing TtFaF for Guitar Hero. Anyone who is fan of the band just because they played that song on Guitar Hero, especially that 100% fink, cannot call themselves a fan. Whew! Thanks for letting me say that. Okay, Ultra Beatdown stillisn't as good as Inhuman Rampage or Sonic Firestorm but it might be better than Valley of the Damned. I'm not really sure because each album is unique in it's own way and stands out differently. Strike of the Ninja was a cool addition to the record in the special edition but I wish Dave would have gone to a standard four-feel rather than hitting the snare on all beats in the chorus. Overall this album was a success and Dragonforce seem to be having a very popular tour with Turisas right now. This record has the best album booklet DF ever put out... just throwing that out there!

fairycake92
    there is a vid on youtube with dragonforce doing an epic fail...mainly sam on the heroes of our time solo..ha genius! he fails so bad but yea heard the song..i can listen to it a few times..but thats it
    Silas S Thompso
    The only reason anyone but like 20 people have heard of this band is because of Guitar Hero. Everyone thinks that if he's not screaming it must be different than every other metal band. Dave Mustaine Doesn't scream. No one from anthrax screamed. Bruce Dickinson doesn't scream. Bobby Blitz doesn't scream.
    Silas S Thompso
    Why do people think they speed up their music?? I mean, yea its pretty fast but there is a lot of other shred stuff that is faster than anything Dragonforce has written, not to say Dragonforce isn't up there but there are much faster songs.
    They do speed it up. They record it slow and use a program to speed it up. I've even seen them admit it in an interview.