Ultra Beatdown review by DragonForce

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
DragonForce: Ultra Beatdown

The fourth album by Dragonforce. My favourite by far. In my view, the band has now found the perfect combination between the guitars, bass, keyboards, drums, and vocals to release a truely epic album. This album is another day in the office for DragonForce, with the regular solo's and what now, but they have slowed parts down, which is risky to me, but it payed off and, well lets face it, it makes Inhuman Rampage look bad. The diversity of the band has changed hugely over the last two years, and now feature extreme vocal pitch switching (The Fire Still Burns), the new MIDIjet system used by Vadim (Reasons to live) and the solos seem a lot deeper, not just jumping straight it. The Last Journey Home shows a smoother solo, building up to a full volume epic segment. Overall, this album is one of the best I have heard, and they have improved live too, seeing them in Newcastle on 8/10/08, I felt they have mastered the live performances. Great job lads!

Well, lets face it, Dragonforce have always used fantasy lyrics, but it works for them. There is some controversy with them, as bassist Frdric Lcreq has gone on record saying that fantasy lyrics are not his sort of thing, but has grown to except them. Throughout this album, ZP has shown more passion and commitment than before (if that's possible) and has stretched his vocals to new levels, and shows an ability to push a powerful voice weather it be high pitched singing (The Fire Still Burns), or more classical ballad styles (The Warrior inside ending, A Flame For Freeom). Personally, I find the lyrics wierd, but they are presented so well by ZP I have become really fond of them.

This album is so amazing, it blows the older stuff away in my view. All four Dragonforce albums are unique, and are improving all the time, making all fans desperate to get their hands on aa new dragonforce album. The song that stands out most to me has got to be The Warrior Inside, as this song has everything from the energetic build up into, to a slow soft ending, and a good solo too. The lyrics are what make this song truely great though is the lyrics, "In a lifetime of disaster, it's a battle to the end" is such an amazing line, it inspires me when I'm down, plus Herman and Sam are so good on this song it makes me want to play guitar more than usual. In this album, as all new guitarists will, I love the solos. Even though I see myself as a rhythm guitarist and not so keen on playing solos, I still enjoy listening to the magic that DragonForce put into guitars. However, I do dislike the fact that you can barely, if at all, hear the bass guitar. If this was stolen, then I'd definately buy it again, even though I have it on my computer, Ipod, back-up disc etc, so if you steal those off me I will break you legs. Great album, can't wait for number 5.

Metalocalyptic
    They are good...but as for DF being metal gods...WTF%?@!& for those who think Trough the fire and flames is a fast song, you havent heard 8th Commandement from Sonata Arctica And sonata CAN play it live. I must admit that DF are better now live that they were...
    djk55
    Dragonforce forever. I respect their new CD Ultra Beatdown. Hopefully people would listen to their other songs than that damn "Through The Fires and Flames". It's very disappointing most people say it all sounds the same.
    EvilAngel93
    SsPunk wrote: Soroki wrote: Dragonforce is great at making almost every song sound exactly like their other ones.... I have to say...this is music meant to impress people who think anything over 150 BPM is good... I saw them live with a friend once. Tbh, yeah, they were rubbish :| i dont understand why people get so hyped up about them. Oh right. Guitar hero.
    Dragonforce is a joke. im sorry but thay have absolutely no talent in making music. Once you've heard one song you've heard them all. And why do people insist on calling them 'metal gods' or even good metal? If you want good metal listen to Slipknot or Killswitch or Megadeth? Now that I'm done hating... my band's gonna change tha vocals and some guitar work to "Through The Fires and Flames" for Battle of the Bands... lol
    ultrabeatdown44
    Inhuman Rampage is the worst DF album in my opinion (but its still awesome) because all the songs sound pretty much the same (except trail of broken hearts). Beatdown is way more diverse and is the album that got me into the 'Force. I'd recommend this album over the others. =D
    pythonslayer10
    everybody lay off of Dragonforce. They are good live (unless they are drunk) which you can ask anyone who saw them live.Not all their solos are fast, and the ones that are fast are meant to be fast because that's their artistic expression style. Most of you who hate Dragonforce are either in denial or jealous that they actually amount to something and you just sit at home wishing to do something like that. Dragonforce is AMAZING!!!!!Their songs song similar, oh I don't know, because they're by the same group. If you wanna hate on music, hate on music that isn't real music, like hip hop or rap, just leave Dragonforce alone man