Valley Of The Damned review by DragonForce

• Released: Feb 25, 2003
DragonForce: Valley Of The Damned

God for a first album this things incredible. The virtuosity of the guitarists and the overall speed and energy of this CD ins amazing. This is the third dragonforce album I've bought and its already one of my most treasured albums. The guitars have an awesome sound, the drumming is fantastic and the vocals are top notch even though ZP Theart (lead vocals) hasn't trained his voice as much as on later albums. Only slight downer on the sound is Herman Li's overuse of what can only be described as a weew weew pedal (probably has a proper name, if ne1 can tell me it ill b very gratefull 'cause I want one) but that's just not picking.

ZP has an awesome, original voice which he uses to great effect here, only problem is that the lyrics are a bit cheesy. Like all Dragonforce and most power metal their mainly about war and fire and dragons. Not a major downer though 'cause their still awesome. The vocals fit perfectly with the music and their are many interesting vocal melodies that are catchy and easy to get into.

Fantastic album. Not even really comparing to the brilliance of Inhuman Rampage but still one of the best albums I own. Best songs are Valley Of The Damned, Black Fire (pure Dragonforce this one), Disciples Of Babylon, Evening Star and Heart Of A Dragon. Being an axeman myself I love the pure shredding skills of the twin leads and the catchy vocal melodies. In fact theres nothing about this album I don't like! If it were stolen, actually I don't think I'd be allowed to say what I'd do to the thief on an unrestricted website but lets just say heels only a warm up compared to me when I'm angry!

Madaxeman1618
    It aint a wah peda;l dude, my crybaby sounds nuthin like it. Im informed on me grapevine that its a whammy pedal
    ironmaidenrulez
    its not a pedal at all, if u mean the guitar screams, its called a harmonic, you hit the string with the plectrum or pick then brush the string with ur thumb all in one. Or if u mean the weewow noise, to do that u strum quite slowly and do lots of hammer-ons on the string u just hit with the plectrum.
    Madaxeman1618
    Its definately a digitech whammy pedal used to get the sound, ive got one now an their well worth it. Cheers to ya'll 4 tryin 2 help me tho.
    s8n_buddy
    way it is with this album, i feel, is that it got their foot in the door. its nto the most extreme, or in my opnion the best (sonic forestorm) but its the best debut album for a LONG LONG time. id even go as far as iron maiden.