Valley Of The Damned review by DragonForce

• Released: Feb 25, 2003
DragonForce: Valley Of The Damned

I was kinda skeptical when I heard their demo back when they were called Dragonheart but when this full length album came out, I was blown away. This CD is amazing in so many ways. The dynamic duo of Sam Totman and Herman Li take metal where it hasn't been in many years with blazing twin melodies and incredible solos, and some of the fastest riffs, licks and solos ever heard. The overall feel reminds back in the Priest and Maiden days.

The lyrics are fun to read and sing along to and the way ZP Theart sings them is really catchy. I was reminded of Lord of the Rings and medieval stories as I was reading listening to the lyrics and they are well composed and complement the music very very well.

For it's time, I wouldn't compare to anything else. They have the speed and furiousity of bands like Strapping Young Lad and the compositional skills of bands like Iron Maiden and Yngwie Malmsteen and other power metal acts. This CD is so good that I got extra copies to keep in my car, my bedroom and one to keep in the CD collection. It's just mind blowing to listen to this CD because the guitar solos are beyond amazing, and the music is fun and it lets you know that these guys are not the type to mess with and they know what they're doing.

DownbëloW
    ironmaidenrulez wrote: its not a pedal at all, if u mean the guitar screams, its called a harmonic, you hit the string with the plectrum or pick then brush the string with ur thumb all in one. Or if u mean the weewow noise, to do that u strum quite slowly and do lots of hammer-ons on the string u just hit with the plectrum.
    It's a whammy pedal. Some of the squeal effects that they do simply cannot be done with harmonics, like slides and chords.
    -metalhead-
    con job wrote: this album rules.ZP is an amazin vocalist, and i dont get y people say the lyrics suck.they rule, and,to be honest, any other kind of topics for lyrics would sound ridiculous over the music.medieval theme fits perfect with the music.and if u say these lyrics suck,then u may aswell be sayin maiden lyrics suck,coz they arent that different to these
    What the **** are you talking about??? maidens lyrics is about everything from war to family and death.even jesus!.dont ****in say maiden songs are shallow like DFs lyrics
    -metalhead-
    uhm...lyrics suck...great drumming...sick guitars only theres more to a song than fast guitar playing...but anyway kinda great band
    CHKurenai
    Valley of the Damned is the only song that they EVER play well live... DF rules!
    StratSlinger421
    i think the vocals are fine. the lyrics aren't going to win any awards, but the sheer talent of the guitarists are like Kwokinator said "breath-taking." I could listen to Herman and Sam all day. Personally I think Herman has a more listenable style than Sam, but that's only my opinion. They are both truly virtuosos.
    con job
    emperor_lion
    You guys need to listen to Rhetorical Triangle..... Talk about fast..... they are pretty local, but they should be hittin it big soon
    Madaxeman1618
    Anarion614 wrote: i hate these reviews that come out like 3 or 4 years after the CD is released....
    Question, did you rite a review when tha album was released? Nah didnt think so so just go home. Turns out everyone was rite, ive seen Hermans setup an he uses a whammy wah thang, a weeping demon and some crazy whammy bar effects with harmonics. God that guy rules.
    Dude...
    The Vocalist and Keyboardist should be shot then they will be cool. Add in a new vocalist and they will be awesome..
    l)ragonForce
    Power metal is about singing on the midevil times and shit like that thats what pretty much all bands like Dragonforce sing about
    Anarion614
    Rize
    When it comes to instruments, DragonForce clocks in with top-notch talent. Extreme speeding guitar riffs, and lightning fast guitar solos, blend in with high-speed drums and a great bassline. Keys act as background, and ZP expressing an amazing voice. DragonForce is the reenactment of Power Metal.
    Glennjoe
    i personally like the singin, not the lyrics, drumming and guitar is ace
    Triviumfan54
    They're amazing guitarists but i just don't buy into that cheesey rock stuff. Cut the keyboard and crap lyrics and you've got a good band.
    garden of grey
    "this crappy atempt to revive hair metal sucks so does all hair metal" pure genius..... I dont even like dragonforce but you are off on the genre. They are power metal (although not a good power metal band IMO). Since i guarantee you dont know what power means, shut the **** up and leave.