Black Wings Of Destiny review by Dragonlord

• Released: Oct 25, 2005
Dragonlord: Black Wings Of Destiny

Steve Smyth, Eric Peterson and co. have done a great job with this album, showcasing their darker musical ventures. The bands' sound is excellent; every instrument is heard clearly and easily (even the bass takes a 'lead' at times). The music is fantastic. Don't expect standard black metal here; no minimalism to be found, and solos and leads abound. The music is so dark and evil sounding, I think courtesy of the atmosphere the keyboards create. I don't think there's a story attached to the album, as it's pretty song based, but it's still great; all of the songs stand well on their own. The record is a black metal masterpiece, but in every song it seems there are multiple melodic leads and such. Nothing else I can think of can be said.

The lyrics are fantastic as well. They fit the music perfectly, telling tales of the devil, and his minions rising up from the underworld (Fallen), and other blasphemous lyrical ventures. The lyrics certainly fit the dark atmosphere of the music. The vocalist, Peterson, has a menacing roar. There are comparisons to Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath, and I think Shagrath is an influence on the vocals, I think Peterson doesnt't really sound like him. Peterson also showcases his clean vocals in a few songs, and they are well placed as well. He's a great vocalist.

I have not heard all of the album "Revelations", but from what I have, This album is definitely quite a bit better. All of the tracks are excellent, but Sins Of Allegiance and Blood Voyeur really stand out. I love everything about the album, however, some of the tracks, for some reason sound a bit "samey" (see: Until The End And Sins Of Allegiance), until they come on at least. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't worry too much, because I have it on my computer, so I could burn it again.