The Book Of Heavy Metal review by Dream Evil

• Released: Jul 13, 2004
Dream Evil: The Book Of Heavy Metal

This is their 3rd album I believe and the first DE album I owned. I heard reviews about them on different sites and decided to go ahead and give it a try (after all, it's a deal when a DVD is included). If you are interested in classic heavy metal, then this is the CD for you. There are some "chuga-chuga-chugs" that I like but it's not "brutal" or anything. There is a slow song called Unbreakable Chains which is an okay song. Gus G (lead guitarist) has a rather tasteful tone.

For heavy metal, I say lead vocalist Niklas Isfeldt got it down. Now he isn't Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford but he got his own thing going on so I'm going to give him credit. The lyrics are written by all the band members and I wouldn't call it cliche though it sounds like it. Most of the lyrics are written by drummer Snowy Shaw. Guitarist Fredrick Nordstorm and bassist Peter Stalfors did a good job with the backup vocals.

Not exactly the best metal album I heard. For me, the solos are rather short and music is simple. Most of the songs (which are short also) does nothing for me except maybe The Book of Heavy Metal, MOM, The Sledge, Crusaders' Anthem, and The Mirror. So, only 5 out of 12 songs? I enjoyed the DVD that came with it rather than the CD itself. I probably wouldn't buy another one if I lost it or got stolen because I would still have the DVD (unless they steal that too, then oh well). If you are a fan of heavy metal or already a fan of DE, get it if you don't have it. Otherwise, I would stay away. I'll probably check out Dragonslayer since it's more power metal. DVD contains footage from their Japan tour and them working in the studio.

Liberation
    You're kidding right anty? I found that The Book Of Heavy Metal was their weakest album, but there are still songs to love on there.
    nobrightskys
    Out of like 50 songs on Metal for the Masses vol. 3, "Book of Heavy Metal" was by far the best song
    metallik1013
    IN THE BOOK OF HEAVY METAAAAAL!!!!! Yeah, it's not even really my kind of thing, but it was undeniably catchy. I dig.
    AngelGC
    I have this CD. I find it hilarious. The title track is the best song on the album. I love how DE sings about dragons, and monsters, and all that midevil stuff. Great music. I like it. Check out Dragonslayer. "I would die to become imortal, thats why i play the guitar."
    ThomasC
    This album is cool I think.. SOme songs I don't like, but still the album is cool