Awake review by Dream Theater

• Released: Oct 4, 1994
Dream Theater: Awake

I couldn't help but noticing that there weren't any reviews for Awake so I had to change that. First off this album is a brilliant follow up to 1992's Images and Words. They are heavier in this album and this is also the beginning of John Petrucci using 7 string guitars. The only real problems with the sound on this album is the production. It is going to sound a bit dry at first and also ull notice that the cleans on the guitar could have sounded so much better. However ull get over that rather quickly.

The lyrics are the usual DT lyrics that always tackle complex subjects and such. The highlights are voices and silent man for the depth that JP provides on the issue and religion and then Lie for having that Moore brilliance that flows so well. He was definetely the best lyricist out of all of them.

This is one of their best albums if you really like both the prog and heavy side of DT. That being said, it is perhaps their least accesible so I dont recommend it being ur first album however once uve given it a couple of listens ull notice the depth beneath it and fall in love instantly. The previously mentioned highlights of the album will be songs that you will always love. See beyond the production of the albumn and you will notice a great CD that tends to sometimes be looked over.

walkinbazooka
    This album is a masterpiece IMO. That being said if you don't enjoy instrumentalism don't buy this record. The virtuosity of the bandsmen is very apparent in this album. I was blown away when i first heard Awake and it only continued to grow on me.
    noremorse
    This is a great cd. Just like scenes from a memory it flows but it doesnt have the continuous story line. The instumentation in this album is fantastic and John Petrucci continues to show us why he is one of the best guitar players out there. One of Dream Theaters best
    DTFan89
    This is a great Dream Theater cd. If you haven't started listening to them and you want to hear a taste of their stuff, buy this cd. It's great. One of my favorites.
    BewilderedSon
    intelligent, original, emotional, melodic and yet complex. This is perfect music. AMAZING ALBUM!
    clockwork555
    WTF? I reviewed each individual song in my review when i typed it up and now its gone. The songs that are worth the CD are Erotomania/Voice/silent man and the mirror/Lie