Black Clouds & Silver Linings review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Dream Theater: Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Black Clouds & Silver Linings is progressive metal band Dream Theater's 10th studio album. The great thing about Dream Theater is their ability to write complicated music in many different styles and cram it into a song in a way that sounds amazing, and this album is no exception, for the most part. The album can easily be identified as darker and heavier then its predecessor in songs like "A Nightmare to Remember", but it's clear that the band is not limited this style as we see much softer and emotional songs as well, like "Wither" and "The Best of Times". Each song on this album is over 10 minutes, with the exception of two, and although this seems as if its a big much the band manages to make each song feel full and will keep you wanting to listen. The sound on this album is incredibly balanced, but you can't feel but help like some of the songs drag on and others should be longer. This album is full of great original progressive songs, like "The Count of Tuscany", but it is obvious that they were stretching at some points. For instance, the song "The Shattered Fortress" is the end of the epic Twelve-step Suite, but instead of the original masterpiece we expected, we are delivered a 12 minute song made up of recycled parts of the previous installments of the suite. Despite some of the issues with the album, the instrumentation is fantastic as usual. John Petrucci's guitar playing abilities are as amazing as ever, and it seems like his ability to distinguish crazy shredding from melodic and beautiful lines has really improved. On drums, Mike Portnoy is amazing. He's able to keep complicated time signatures while throwing in crazy drum fills wherever he can and still keep time. John Myung's bass playing is still great and dominant, and instead of being an instrument to support the guitar its an instrument of its own that really adds a ton to the album. Finally, Jordan Rudess' keyboard playing remains fantastic and a great addition to the songs. Overall, this album has tons of great aspects to it and will keep you listening for a long time, but there's still a few issues the band needs to overcome. The problems aren't very big at all, but this is their 10th album and by this point they should be able to fix some minor things that bring the album down.

The lyrics cover many themes, from the death of loved ones to innocence to recovering alcoholics. The lyrics themselves are fairly simply written, but in a way that's catchy and that you can really get into. Some of the themes seem a tad repetitive, but for the most part they are well written and can be related to. James LaBrie's vocals have improved and changed greatly since the release of Systematic Chaos. His voice isn't as whiny and is more confident. However, instead of being underconfident he is almost over confident.. I feel like he's making some of the vocals harsher, louder, and edgier then they were intended to be. His singing is great, but it is obvious that this is probably one of the weaker parts of the band.

When I first got the album, I thought it was absolutely stunning. A few times later, I still think it's great. However, listening closely you can hear some parts where the band isn't as tight as it could be, or some of the songs aren't as great as they could be. Overall, this album is great and you'll want to listen to it if you're a fan of the genre, and if you're a fan of Dream Theater definitely buy it, it's not number 1 but it's still pretty high up there.

GiantRaven
    So far my opinion is that it is an average album, nothing else. Not good, not bad... Why would I listen to average Dream Theater when I can listen to amazing Dream Theater?
    Rattlehead EOR
    Personally i dont see whats so great about Images and Word, i mean that is the album that got me into Dream Theater but they have made much better albums i think. And all this about Systematic Chaos not being good, i dont get it. its an amazing album and just cause it doesnt sound like Images and Word its shit. Black Clouds and SIlver Linings is just amazing and i wouldnt ask for anything else from Dream Theater cause im completely satisfied. MIKE PORTNOY SHOULD SING SOME MORE!!!
    MADIronMaiden
    Well, I won't take the review of someone who can't even spell LaBrie's name correctly seriously.
    SoftParade1967
    ThatsAgood1jay wrote: I dont think anyone here, or the reviewers for UG realize what Dream Theater is about. Everyone's main argument is "Well, its not an Images and Words". Fuck yes its not, Dream Theater has never been a throw back band that panders the same sound album after album like Iron Maiden or Megadeth. Did anyone expect"Awake" after "Images And Words"?. Dream Theater is a Progressive Metal band, and probably the only band that has stayed true to their music. Every album is different on so many levels, there is never going to be another Images and Words, or another SFAM. because thats not how DT works. They are constantly changing their sound to fit their mood as a band. [/rant]
    YES! Thank you! I love this album and havent stopped listening to it! Yet another great DT album. So many great solos on Petruccis part.
    MADIronMaiden
    You guys should go write reviews on Amazon. The average rating is pretty terrible because of some idiots who hate DT in the first place. It deserves much more.
    Superperfex
    Not all albums will be the same guys. And as for the inspiration, why do you care? Their songs are still their songs.
    MADIronMaiden
    Like I said, some DT fans are never satisfied. Some complain because they think that all of their albums are the same (WTF?) and some others complain because their albums aren't all the same.
    Itsvoogle
    Why do people have to nit pick and bitch about everything?? especially when it comes to DT...why cant people just see the good and hard effort that they put into the album...the great music...id like to see anyone of those who criticize make something better...**** people...
    Kyle Crabbs
    flashmdg wrote: well all mastodon sing about is monsters and there are no comments about crack the skye being lame are there?
    What the **** are you talking about? I don't recall them talking about monsters in midst of Czarist Russia,Rasputin, and wormholes.
    Dreiken
    Great album. Best DT's put out in a while. Only complaint is that there's still no new lyrics by Myung.