Black Clouds & Silver Linings review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Dream Theater: Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Dream Theater albuns after Scenes from a memory lost a bit of magic and the progressive sound the strogest aspects on their music! Even Scenes from a memory has guided the band in a diferent way. Sistematic chaos the last album before BCSL was a bit bad, to much metal sound and lyrics and the producing was nothing special! I think Mike Portnoy wanted to control all and wanted to be the center of attencions and that was a bit selfish of him thinking he can rule DT with so much talent in there! BCSL was a great hope for DT, the album is their best since 1998, I think petrucci got more control in this album and he was truly inspired giving us awesome musics! Mike Portnoi did a good job on best of times too!

Black Clouds and Silver Linings has some strong lyrics! Some about a car accident that Petrucci haved when he was young, about Portnoy's dad that passed away and a master piece called a The Count of Tuscany! 01. A Nightmare to Remember - Well this song has an epic and heavy Intro, that like Petrucci said remind us a Tim Burton movie, with a tipical minor progressions, the lyris is about a car accident that petrucci haved when was young,has awesome chorus parts and a sick solo section done by Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, i realy didnt like Portnoy rapping the rest of the song is awesome!-9 02. A Rite of Passage- Good choice for a single, this song remind me more the old Theater with a oriental arabic riff that remind us musics like Ytse jam, pull me under has a sick solo section that show us that Jordan and Petrucci were made for each other!-9.5 03. Wither - The Balad of the album, this is a more commercial way from Theater but is an hell of a balad, very beatifull chorus parts from petrucci, nice melodies from Jordan Rudess! the solo remind us Brian May solos from Queen is wonderfull great piece from Petrucci the lyric is realy the sadest from Mr.Petrucci!-9 04. Shatered Fortress-> Its a big compilations of musics done by Portnoy, well is the metal that Portnoy did all this years, I liked the way that they played this dying soul part they transformed a pure metal on a beatifull chorus piece, the solo from Rudess I didn t liked, the solo of Mr Petrucci is the best solo that I ve heard from him, ok he has great solos on great songs on this career but I dont know why he chooses this song to make a awesome solo like that!-8 05. The Best of Times -First one of the best pieces that Mike Portnoy created, he was doing to much metal lyrics to my taste! This song is dedicated to his father that passed away a real good honor to the man that named this great band! Has some beatifull major melodies and then turns on a sad a tipical natural minor progressions with epic chorus parts! The Solo is so beatifull remind us classics solos from Rhodes, great job by John Petrucci, fuckin amazing!-10 06. The Count Of Tuscany - One word for this One EPIC, this song talks about a encounter that Petrucci haved with the Count of Tuscany, this song basically has evertthing that dream theater has,John Petrucci realy did his career!-10

Well I think this album was good and DT is heading on a good way! It was a shame that John Myung didn t appear on this album ok he was good doing his bass parts but simply didn't show in this album and just was apart! I liked Jordan Rudess work his best since he is part od Theater! Labrie voice was good he was forced a bit to sing some parts that was not is best, listen the first verse of A rite of passage or the song Shatered Fortress! Mike Portnoy did great job on drums but please get out of the mic please and just focus on the music side of the band and leave production and let the other members being part of the criative process of Dream Theater! John Petrucci realy Shines on this album, awsome lyrics, solos and his guitar sound like heaven in this album! Lets hope the next album it will be better!