Breaking The Fourth Wall [DVD] Review

7.2
 6,135
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Breaking The Fourth Wall [DVD] Reviewed by: The Rev19, on october 13, 2014

Sound: The performance Dream Theater gave on this Blu-ray is absolutely insane. Obviously Petrucci and Myung don't jump around and do crazy acrobatics like Janick Gers from Iron Maiden might but they make up for it by making their respective instruments look like a breeze to play especially Myung with his insane bass shredding on "The Dance of Eternity." Mangini on the other hand is absolutely insane, especially during the breakdown/solo on the song "The Shattered Fortress" where he just lets loose and is hitting the drums as hard as he possibly can while still maintaining an insane level of control. I know I will get a lot of hate for this but as much as I loved Portnoy, I just feel that Mangini plays with more energy and joy. Most of the time he is playing, he just looks like he is having the absolute time of his life with all of his smiles and hilarious eye contact with the other members. I just found Portnoy to be a bit too serious when he played.

Overall though, this performance is top notch like I said. Dream Theater just have this amazing chemistry on stage and an incredibly tight sound. I just wish LaBrie would sing the way he did on the DVD all the time because he really does sound great. // 8

Overall Impression: "Breaking the Fourth Wall" was filmed at The Boston Opera House with the help of an orchestra from the Berklee College of Music and it is an amazing DVD under the right audio circumstances. The entire performance is absolutely top notch with every single member hitting their cues and playing their instruments flawlessly and with (seemingly) incredible ease. Major props go to Mr. Mangini for his incredibly high energy but incredibly controlled drumming just the overwhelming sense of joy emitting from him on every single song.

If you are a fan of DT and have a pretty good sound system, then you will absolutely want to pick up this Blu-ray. // 8

Comments