Images and Words review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jul 6, 1992
Dream Theater: Images and Words

Honestly, this is without a doubt Dream Theater's Magnum Opus. This was an album with old keyboardist Kevin Moore, but I still think this album is very good. Petrucci, Myung, Portnoy and Moore are the ultimate instrumentalists in progressive rock or any other genre for that matter. I would have to say that this album ranks with Rage Against The Machine's "Rage Against The Machine" as far as sound quality go. I was very impressed.

The thing with Dream Theater is that they are a highly instrumental band. This was the first album with singer James LaBrie and I think that had some kind of effect. But putting that aside, I believe his voice syncs very well with the rest of the band. As far as lyrics go, they're no Roger Waters, but they're ok.

This is my first Dream Theater album and it is my favorite. I thoroughly enjoy it on a daily basis. The most impressive song instrumentally is Metropolis Pt. 1. My favorite song is Pull Me Under. If you're looking for a fantastic guitar solo, go for Under A Glass Moon. Really great solo by Mr. John Petrucci there. I love most things about this album. The only thing that is a little annoying is the lyrics. The singing is good but the lyrics are a little sub-par. I would definitely buy this album over and over again. I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the progressive metal genre. If your into Rush, buy this album.

dark_falco3000
    heavyprog wrote: Only Dark Side could top this. No other band could hope to achieve something as amazing as Images & Words ever again. In a perfect world it would have sold 30 million copies.
    In a perfect world where people actually respect bands for their talent, originality and lyrics rather than the "beat" and "catchyness" of the song, Dream Theater would be close to, if not at the top of the charts, and the mainstream crap that they play now will be shunned into the background, never to be heard again.
    heavyprog