Images and Words review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jul 6, 1992
Dream Theater: Images and Words

John Petrucci has the guitar tone of the Millenium the 1000s that is. There are better tones now-a-days but he has a good tone that is still hard to beat. Mike Portnoy is my hero, he is a phenominal drummer who always gets it done no matter what. His skill behind the skins is what gies Dream Theater their edge. The way he and the rest of the band adjust to strange time signatures is just amazing. Kevin Moore does nicely on the keys. I like his performance on Surrounded with the quiet intro and then his piano entrance later on. James LaBrie has the voice of the '80s hair metal band but he still fits in with a top-notch prog outfit. These guys are nothing short of a 10-star sound.

James LaBrie is one of my favorite singers of any band on my top ten list. He kind of sounds like ZP Theart from Dragonforce because he can reach those staggering high notes which only can be reached by the best like Scott Ian. Te lyrics are kind of mysticl giving the music a floaty sound and make you feel like a weightless cloud flying in the sky of dreams eating ice cream and frosted cake. But that shows how mild lyrics can be utilized effectivly in metal and James from Dream Theater verifies that theory.

This is hands down either the number one or two prog metal albums ever. People always say oh, hey Fall Out Boy is awesome or whoa Listen to this Green Day. No. Who will be listening to those bands in a thousand years? No one. Sorry fans. But the bands people will be listening to are Led Zepp, Sabbath, The Beatles, The Stones and Dream Theater. This album is the ultimate prog metal salute to the world with hands held high at a price anyone will pay. The best songs are Another Day, Take the Time (my absolute favorite), Surrounded, and Under a Glass Moon.

neo_evil
    orange_juice
    Ever heard "Close To The Edge" by Yes?
    'Leviathan'
    Took me a while to get into this album, seeing as my first Dream Theater album was Systematic Chaos, but it is now definitely my favorite album of all time. One of the only albums I can listen from start to finish in the one go and not get bored. Incredible work of art.
    steelfingers
    my first DT album that i bought. after listening to under a glass moon i decided to buy this one because it had it on it. never looked back and out of my whole record collection, i would call this one my favourite of all time. Great job DT!
    petrucci_owns86
    neo_evil wrote: 05. Metropolis - Part I. The Miracle And The Sleeper - this song blows my mind. Some crazy solos from Moore and Petrucci on this cut. Dude... myung has a solo in here as well!! Think many people will hate you got this mistake
    Shit my bad. Well... Some crazy solo from Moore, Petrucci, and Myung on this cut. There.
    freedomdeceptiv
    dude, the bass fill in metropolis right before the keyboard and guitar solos is insane and so are the solos!!!! Dream theater are amazing and definitely would appeal to any metal head, hard rocker or progressive rocker. this album especially kicks ass!!!
    randyaintdead82
    dark_falco3000 wrote: heavyprog wrote: Only Dark Side could top this. No other band could hope to achieve something as amazing as Images & Words ever again. In a perfect world it would have sold 30 million copies. In a perfect world where people actually respect bands for their talent, originality and lyrics rather than the "beat" and "catchyness" of the song, Dream Theater would be close to, if not at the top of the charts, and the mainstream crap that they play now will be shunned into the background, never to be heard again.
    yesssss!!!!! i want to live in a perfect world.....but thats not going to happen
    NightwishAngel
    I love this album, definitely one of their best. Every song is flawless. Dream Theater rules!