Images and Words review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jul 6, 1992
Dream Theater: Images and Words

Wow! What an amazing album this is, a sparkiling jewel in progressive rock history! Arguably one of Dream Theater's best albums, this album is definitley up there. The sound/technical aspect of the album was superb. DT technically speaking always astounds me, they are great musicians and they compose highly complex songs, but that's not too special, DT isn't the ony band that makes complex music, what makes DT so special is the creativity behind the music, and the fact that even though DT might not be the only band putting intricate numbers out there, they are one of the few bands who's complex songs actually sound good and flow well. The sound quality was fantastic, very clean and pure. The only song I felt that fell short of the rest on the album was Learning To Live, still a good song nontheless, I just don't feel it compares well to the other tracks on the album. Images and Words through a mixed bag of songs ranging from more up beat, softer hits to heavy riffage and intense instrumental breakdowns. I couldn't come up with a number one song for sound on the album so I'll pick two, Under A Glass Moon and Surrounded.

Dream Theater always has awesome lyrics, the group can write very intellegent lyrics that flow perfectly with the music. James LaBrie had and STILL HAS a phenominal voice, this album is no exception. The albums lyrics are great, they speak to the soul, and are pretty clever too. Dream Theater is good at telling stories through song, even though thats not what this album does, Images and Words does set the stage for the later concept album Metropolis PT. 2: Scenes From a Memory, which is basically a continuation/build in detail of the track Metropolis pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper, which is on images and words. Lyrically this album kicks ass, all of the songs are amazing in terms of the lyrics and I would leave it at that, but since Metropolis pt.1: The Miracle and The Sleeper kinda kicked off Metropolis pt.2: Scenes from a Memory I'm going to say that that is number one on the album in terms of lyrics.

Golden! A great listen, love it every time, and for anyone new to Dream Theater, they are an amazing bad, but in order to really get into them you have to sit down, take some time, an listen to the music in its entirety and sort of digest the music. This album is by far a favorite of mine by Dream Theater, though not necessarily their best. Dream Theater has made a name for themselves and also has made a mark in progessive rock history, which could possibly have been helped by this album, Images And Words. Best track overall on the album is Take The Time.

jjhand
    Nice songs, but that electronic snare that Portnoy uses is not as good as his later drum sounds on the following records. Other than that, guitar/bass tracks are great
    Harry_66
    Pure brilliance indeed... The saxo solo in another day showed me a brand new world... P.D.: Great album to trip around.