Live At Budokan [DVD] review by Dream Theater

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Dream Theater: Live At Budokan [DVD]

Dream Theater are a very talented group of musicians making their own style of music by forging together rock, prog rock, metal and about a million other genres into one very distinct sound. Dream Theater are true musicians and sound as flawless on stage as in their studio albums, this DVD is no exception.

Content — 10
This 2 DVD set comes with one disk with the full live concert with lyric subtitles and the other is a collection of special features including documetarys and a multi angle version of a medly played in the concert on Disk 1. The set list of the concert is a fair pick from their previous albums and of course a fair few from their latest release: 01. As I Am 02. This Dying Soul 03. Beyond This Life 04. Hollow Years 05. War Inside My Head 06. The Test That Stumped Them All 07. Endless Sacrifice 08. Instrumedley 09. Trail Of Tears 10. New Millenium 11. Keyboard Solo 12. Only A Matter Of Time 13. Goodnight Kiss 14. Solitary Shell 15. Stream Of Consciosness 16. Disappear 17. Pull Me Under 18. In The Name Of God

Production Quality — 10
The production of this show is great. The picture quiality is great and the lighting used in the show was great. The best part about the production was that the camera mainly focused on the instrument being played at that time, so we can be blown away with John and Jordan's solos! The whole gig seemed a lot more real as we got views of the crowd and the stage from far away, and also there were no split screens/visual effects infront of the band to distract you.

This DVD is much better than their last release in the way it makes you feel like part of the crowd, and less of a distant viewer at home. The selection of songs may have been a little better with a couple more tracks from earlier albums and Scenes From A Memory, but was still a really good choice. If this dvd were lost/stolen I would have to go out and get it again ASAP!