Live At Budokan [DVD] review by Dream Theater

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Dream Theater: Live At Budokan [DVD]

Man this DVD is really awesome, the sound it's great, it's perfect for Dream Theater's fans, the life performance sounds perfect there's no artist mistakes at all, it sounds as recorded, all the instruments are at the perfect volume, you can hear each of them clearly. Overall it's an excelent masterized product in sound. 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound System.

Content — 10
Well it's a 2 discs DVD, live performance show at the Budokan Colosseum, Japan. Features a tour documentary; guitar, keyboard and drum solos; the 2004 tour opening video, and a multiangle bonus for "Instrumedley," so it's great you have the option to focus a camera just for John Petrucci and you'll be amaze of his performance or John Myung, Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess. John plays with his Ernie Balls Signature guitars and with a 2 neck guitar (6 strings, 12 strings), Mike plays with his mountruos drums, John plays with several kind of basses and one its a 12 string bass, and Jordan plays with a custom keyboard. Live song list (disc one): 01. As I Am 02. This Dying Soul 03. Beyond This Life 04. Hollow Years 05. War Inside My Head 06. The Test That Stumped Them All 07. Endless Sacrifice 08. Instrumedley 09. Trial Of Tears 10. New Millenium 11. Keyboard Solo 12. Only A Matter Of Time 13. Goodnight Kiss 14. Solitary Shell 15. Stream Of Consciusness 16. Disappear 17. Pull Me Under 18. In The Name Of God Disc two (bonus material): 01. Riding the train of thought japanese tour documentary 02. John Petrucci guitar world 03. Jordan Rudess keyboard world 04. Mike Portnoy drum solo 05. The Dream Theater chronicles 2004 tour opening video 06. "Instrumedley" multiangle bonus So what else can you ask for? I'm extremely satisfied.

Production Quality — 10
High quality masterized DVD, the image quality it's great it's like if you where actually watching it at the moment. They really knew how to manage the angles and camera positions as well the editing process. Really great.

Well overall it's an awesome DVD I really love it, Dream Theater it's an excelent band with great musicians and they really know how to perform live. Impressive stuff for me it's John Petrucci's technique and accuracy. If it get stolen I'll be raging, try to have it again, or stole one cuz I live in Panama that DVD here it's not original I think I'm one of the few persons that owns one original copy at my country, so it's special. Every dollar it's worth for the DVD.

AngelGC
    I hate to rain on Jv's and Baxter's parade but there are a few mistakes in the DVD. One durring the break in Beyond This Life, durring Mike's little woodblock groove. And another at the end of Stream of Counsiousness(sp?). But I only notied that from countless hors of watching this DVD. I love it. It is a great DVD.
    Page_is_God
    THIS IS THE 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD- IF YOU LIKE MUSIC YOU WILL GET THIS DVD IT IS LIFE CHAGING! If you are a guitarist get this dvd because you will be inspired to reach for what you thought was inpossible.
    buckethead101
    I forgot that song. The one which John Myung uses Chapman Sticks. I totally like his tone in that concert. John Myung you rock my ass.
    JVDumarC
    GlassPrison 138
    JVDumarC : dude and the 12 stringed bass that John used? goddamn that bassist it's great... But Petrucci it's the man!!
    he didn't use a 12 string bass >.< he used a chapman stick, it even says so on the dvd case