Live At Budokan [DVD] Review

artist: Dream Theater date: 11/20/2007 category: compact discs
Dream Theater: Live At Budokan [DVD]
Released: October 5, 2004
Disc One is the complete live concert. Disc Two is packed with special features, including a Japanese tour documentary, guitar/keyboard/drum solos.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9.8
 9.5
 9.9
 9.1
 1,233
Live At Budokan [DVD] Reviewed by: danielreid, on october 11, 2004

Sound: Dream Theater are a very talented group of musicians making their own style of music by forging together rock, prog rock, metal and about a million other genres into one very distinct sound. Dream Theater are true musicians and sound as flawless on stage as in their studio albums, this DVD is no exception. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is much better than their last release in the way it makes you feel like part of the crowd, and less of a distant viewer at home. The selection of songs may have been a little better with a couple more tracks from earlier albums and Scenes From A Memory, but was still a really good choice. If this dvd were lost/stolen I would have to go out and get it again ASAP! // 10

Live At Budokan [DVD] Reviewed by: BaXTeR403, on february 03, 2006

Sound: I have been a Dream Theater fan for about a year now. When I first got into them I was like "Woah! These guys are pretty good." Of course I had only listened to A Change Of Seasons. I thought it was cool because it was over twenty minutes long, and I heard the version where John Petrucci plays the Simpsons theme song. Anyways after listening to A Change of Seasons for about a month I went out and bought Live At Budokan. I was absolutely blown away. If you are just now getting into Dream Theater this is a great DVD. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD totally rofl pwns any other live concery DVD. The most imprssive thing on the DVD is probably everything. They make the music fuse together so well its unbelievable. I loved all the solo's from Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, and Rudess. I kinda hated the way Lebris' voice sounded without the help of a studio but it was still alright. If mine were stolen or lost I would buy it again in a heartbeat. // 10

Live At Budokan [DVD] Reviewed by: «ÃFireÏnside», on january 03, 2006

Sound: So, this DVD is Dream Theater, live at Budokan. This DVD is a show during their tour following the release of 2003's Train of Thought studio album. 5 of the 7 songs off Train of Thought are on this album, as well as 13 other tracks. Much of the material produced by the band pre-1997 is not played here with the exception of their 1991 hit Pull Me Under, which is why some fans alienate this DVD. However, the sound quality on this DVD is simply amazing. There are some small tiny parts that you have to strain to hear a bit, but for the most part I was impressed with the sound production. All instruments and the fans are heard quite clearly througout. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the only Dream Theater DVD I own, so though not much to compare to in terms of the band, compared to other artist's DVD's I think this one was quite good. The fact that it had a lot of bonus material really appealed to me, as being a guitarist I found it really interesting to see Petrucci's set-up. All the songs are heard clearly, production/sound/lighting was fabulous, I can't say more about it. If it were lost, I'm extremely sure I would buy it again, as well get the Scenes From A Memory DVD. Small little things I didn't really like keep this from being a 10, and the fact that a lot of early DT material I wouldn't liked to see wasn't on here keep this from being a 10, but it is definately recommended to all DT fans. // 9

Live At Budokan [DVD] Reviewed by: JVDumarC, on april 18, 2006

Sound: Man this DVD is really awesome, the sound it's great, it's perfect for Dream Theater's fans, the life performance sounds perfect there's no artist mistakes at all, it sounds as recorded, all the instruments are at the perfect volume, you can hear each of them clearly. Overall it's an excelent masterized product in sound. 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound System. // 10

Overall Impression: Well overall it's an awesome DVD I really love it, Dream Theater it's an excelent band with great musicians and they really know how to perform live. Impressive stuff for me it's John Petrucci's technique and accuracy. If it get stolen I'll be raging, try to have it again, or stole one cuz I live in Panama that DVD here it's not original I think I'm one of the few persons that owns one original copy at my country, so it's special. Every dollar it's worth for the DVD. // 10

Live At Budokan [DVD] Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on november 20, 2007

Sound: This is a great DVD, their best one in my opinion. It was recorded at Budokan in Japan. This concert was filmed shortly after the release of their album Train of Thought. Dream Theater plays progressive metal, with often times multiple keyboard and guitar solos per song. The only thing their other DVDs beat this one at is the quality of James LaBrie's voice. His voice on Live at Budokan sounds awfully ragged on a couple of the songs. But the instrumentalism makes up for that. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this DVD edges out Score just slightly. Score may have my favorite song (Octavarium), but Live at Budokan contains six more songs than Score. The high points of this DVD are "Beyond This Life", "Holloe Years", and "In the Name of God". James LaBrie is more on his game in Score than in this DVD, but that doesn't really bug me. I have both Score and Live at Budokan, so it doesn't really matter! If it were lost or stolen, I would most likely get it again when it's in stock. I got the last one! // 10

Comments