Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] review by Dream Theater

• Released: Apr 24, 2001
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Dream Theater: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD]

Dream Theater: a progressive rock/metal band who certainly know how to rock, but also aren't afraid to show their soft side recorded their last performance of the Scenes From A Memory tour, their most creative record to date which tells a story of reincarnation/murder. Production of this DVD is great, and of course the band are amazing, playing perfectly.

Content — 10
This DVD contains the first part of their concert played that night (set on of two) and also some of part two. Also featured are short documentrys on the band, prduction, fans etc which lets you see even more of the show played that night inbetween inteviews etc.

Production Quality — 8
Sound production is amazing, sounds as good as on the studio album. Visual production is good, altough the split screens can get annoying sometimes, would of been better if this was an optional feature.

This dvd is just great. You be amazed with the quality of the band's live performance, and the story of the album is great as well. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again, but they would have to find the safe I am protecting it in first!

PinkFloydrulez
    Guitar_Poet
    Dan Payne
    Guitar_Poet wrote: PinkFloydrulez wrote: I thought the dvd would have the whole concert... Like the one on CD, I was really looking forward to seeing the other songs too and I was pretty disappointed lol.. oh well.. indeed. i think portnoy went a little too far with the effects too, which bugged me. i like the other two DVDs more, simply because i could concentrate on the music/musicians' playing, as opposed to being slammed by all these effects and pictures and video. it was a great idea to put that stuff in there (pics/vids), but it went too far IMO. also, labrie sounds pretty bad. especially on "Home"... i cringe when he starts singing on that song. such a great song and an awesome intro, and he ruins it.
    in all fairness James' vocals were pretty amazing considering he was singing despite the fact that he had ruptured his vocal cords, most people would barely be able to talk after that let alone sing