Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory review by Dream Theater

• Released: Oct 26, 1999
Dream Theater: Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory

Just like any other DT album: the sound is perfect, with every instrument well articulated. But the real excitement I have about this album is its brilliance. Let me explan: it is unlike no other album I or anyone else has every heard it's like a progressive metal/rock opra. I've probably listened to this whole album from beggining to end without a break 3 times and I still don't get it perfectly, but it's about a guy who starts off at hypnotist's office and when he is put to sleep the songs start to go back into his memory until the end where he wakes up and then something weird happens. This album is so genius because its songs are all connected and if you will listen carefully you can hear some of the same riffs being used in multiple songs, like in overture 1928 and one last time, it pure genius and sounds amazing.

The singer is very talented and he too like the rest of this album sounds amazing. The lyrics like the riffs are also re used in some songs to give the feeling of deja vu (that's a song). This album is call Metropolis Part 2, if you listen to Metropolis Part 1: the Miracle and The Sleeper On Images And Words you will hear for example "I was told that a new love is born for each one that has died" you also hear this in the song Home after the first chorus. The lyrics are also pure genius.

All the songs kick ass in this album. It is the most well written and well thought out music I've ever heard. Sometimes when listening to this album I ask myself: how did they come up with that? The answer is simple: when you're as talented as DT you can write this stuff. I love everysong on this album and I'd get another copy of it in a heartbeat if it were stolen. Trust me when I say you've never heard anything like this. Buy this album because you've got to hear it to believe it.

intheblood
    For those of you who think that the lyrics are bad because you can't get the story straight here it is..it is about a guy who has visions of girl in his dreams..she is dead..he has more visions..through dreaming and hypnosis he finds out that she was mudered by her lover and by solving that he frees her from being a ghost and himself from her vision. The stoey is NOT about some girl who gets shot and thats it. And if you are going to write criticism it is best to know what you are talking about. I don't mean to sound harsh this is one of the best albums I have ever head in any genre and I feel that is was subject to some harsh criticism by people who did not know what they were talking about.
    intheblood
    MyFuriousNipple
    Actually there's more to the story than that. How can these people totally omit the lyrics to the final two tracks and the ending sequence?
    dlow
    Actually this is one of DT's best albums out of them all. the Dance of Eternity is almost one of their best tracks, and they have superb instrumentals such as Overture 1928. a MUST GET for the DT fan.