Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory review by Dream Theater

• Released: Oct 26, 1999
Dream Theater: Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory

This dream theater album is in my opinion the best sounding CD. It's more progressive, and experimental. Also, they've put a lot of different styles into the songs on it, like the ballads "The Spirit Carries On", "One Last Time", and "Through Her Eyes". Then there's the heavy songs, "Beyond This Life", and "Home", which, by the way are my two favourites. So if you're into variosity (forgive my spelling), I'd definately recommend this album.

This is the most important and impressive part of the CD, if you ask me. The lyrics tells the listener a very interresting story involving ghosts, murders, hypnotists, and jealousy, and LaBrie does a very good job not giving away too much so the listener has to figure it out by themselves with the clues they are given throughout the album. Also, the vocal range is very impressive. I'd almost say he's on level with Freddie Mercury on this album.

I find this album, as I've stated above, to be the best they've ever written. The most impressive songs would be "Beyond This Life", "Dance Of Eternity", "Home" and "Fatal Tragedy". I love the way the songs all in some way fit together, and the album definately sounds better if you listen to it as a whole. I can't really say I hate anything about, and if it were stolen I'd beat the person who took it down and rub it in his nose that he didn't have it and I did.

Doodleface
    IMO this was the most important album DT put out. they were at their best. they only went up from here. my fav is still Six Degrees. the only ablum that compares to this one, and predates it (in my mind) is Awake
    kalamari
    It's a great album, no doubt, but the production is really not to my taste, and the keyboards sound especially poor to me. Musically, though, this is probably their most challenging and interesting effort and a turning point from which they decided to do what they wanted in the way they wanted.