Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory review by Dream Theater

• Released: Oct 26, 1999
Dream Theater: Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory

Well, the sound is phonomenal. This is their 2nd best album in my opinion, but it has the best sound and musicianship of any of their albums. It's a prog rock opera, and it sticks to prog rock the entire time. It does get a little metal in "Beyond this Life" and "Home," but it still remains primarily prog. The sound is great, Rudess is at prime form with his keys here. John Petrucci cranks out some of his best guitar work on this album. Great sound.

The storyline of the opera is too hard to describe, but it is complex and intriguing. The lyrics reflect the storyline perfectly, they work quite well here. The best lyrical songs on the album are the final two, "The Spirit Carries On" and "Finally Free." "The Spirit Carries On" even incorporates a whole church choir arranged by Jordan Rudess, which just adds to the beauty of the lyrics.

Pure freakin' ownage, that's what DT delivers with this stunner of an album. Everything is amazing. The music is great, Labrie's voice is in top form, the lyrics are great, and the storyline is wholly unique and original. I love it how they even made it in true opera form, with scenes, acts, and characters. It's brilliant. Great album. The MVP here is Jordan Rudess, the new band member at the time of the recording of this CD. He is the best piano player I have ever heard and this album proves it. Great CD. While not as good as "Octavarium," this album is breathtaking.

Cresspo
    intheblood wrote: For those of you who think that the lyrics are bad because you can't get the story straight here it is..it is about a guy who has visions of girl in his dreams..she is dead..he has more visions..through dreaming and hypnosis he finds out that she was mudered by her lover and by solving that he frees her from being a ghost and himself from her vision. The stoey is NOT about some girl who gets shot and thats it. And if you are going to write criticism it is best to know what you are talking about. I don't mean to sound harsh this is one of the best albums I have ever head in any genre and I feel that is was subject to some harsh criticism by people who did not know what they were talking about.
    I agree...jesus, guys, haven't you listened to the cd or what? The lyrics are about the best you will ever get....not some stupid love song or crap like that, it's a novel IN an album and you still think the lyrics are bad....man, i don't know where to start telling you what the art of lyrics is....anyway: I like the album really, borrowed it from a friend and it just sounds great and the lyrics are great (no matter what you guys think of it)
    hiimwilson2010
    dude, it all is bout the same thing cuz its a concept album.... durr. try again. it;s their first concept album. and if u need a refresher, a concept album is and album with a consistant story line to go with the album. it's bout a murder, so all the songs are gonna relate to a murder. but either way. they r great lyrics. listen to the album again buddy