Octavarium review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
Dream Theater: Octavarium

Here it is. The long awaited Octavarium. And it's good! It hits of with a part of the Glass Prison/This Dying Soul saga called The Root Of All Evil. An awesome song with nice riffage and sweet chorus. The next song is The Answer Liew Within, and what can I say, it's a ballad, it's ok and that's about it! It needs something. We move on to These Walls, this is a kickass song with some nice Rudess-magic. Then the album kinda drops again, with a U2 rip-off called I Walk Beside You, it's good, but not what I want on this album. I want more progression and you know, more different stuff. Then we speed up again with Panic Attack, which might be the best song on the album! It's really rockin and LaBrie is impressive. Now to the Muse rip-off. Muse is one of Petrucci's favourite bands, and we see that in the song "Never Enough." I like it and LaBrie seems to like it to, with all the things he does with his voice. Last but definitely not least, the title track! I haven't listened to this enough to really make a fair judgement, but the start is kinda boring, but it builds up!

Mister James LaBrie surpirsed me. I have been a bit negative about him lately, with the Live At Budokan performance and all. He sings over his own level, so he struggles live. And on this album he is brilliant, I only hope he can match it on the tour. The lyrics are as always high class, some cheese involved maybe, but who cares. Sacrificed Sons is an all-american song about 9/11 and we all know what The Root Of All Evil is about. I was surpriesd by Labries voice, so I am giving this a 5, dont know if it deserves it though.

Overall impression of Octavarium is good, solid, cool but far form their best. They have kicked it up a notch seens Six Degrees and Train Of Thought but their not close to Scenes From A Memory level. A nice and good album, but don't focus on this, there are so many other amazing albums this year! My favourite song right now must be Panic Attack or The Root Of All Evil. I don't think the ballads fit that much. I am really digging these catchy abit heavy songs and then I Walk beside You comes on, then I just change track. It's a good song, but it doesn't fit! Maybe they should fix the tracklist?