Octavarium review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
Dream Theater: Octavarium

In every album, Dream Theater presents different style and genre. As for example, in Images and Words, they made a very progressive album, odd time signature, long composition songs and so on. While in Train of Thought, the style of the album is very heavy metal, although there is also some progressive element in the album. In this 8th studio album, Octavarium, Dream Theater brings more Dream Theater sound, progressive, metal and some pop rock songs. If you notice, Octavarium comes from the word, Octave, which is 8, and you will see many 8 numbers in this album, whether its on the cover or in the songs itself. In every song lyrics, there is a time signature on top of it. These time signatures represent the time signature in the song below it. For instance, The Root of all evil, has F time signature, therefore it played in F time signature. Moreover, these 8 songs will create an octave. From track 1 to 8, the octave notations are F G A B C D E F. This is one of the things that made Dream Theater is a true progressive band, although they can produce many different styles of music.

For the lyrics, Dream Theater and the members in it always be consistent of what they are producing. The lyrics are varies from sad lyrics, happiness and things that happen in our life, for example, in Sacrified Sons, tells the story about the tragedy 9/11. One song that I would like to talk about more is Octavarium. This song was divided into 5, Someone Like Him, Medicate, Full Circle, Intervals and Razor's Edge, and I would like to talk more about Razor's Edge. As I mentioned above, the album is about an Octave, about being circle, endless, repeated. In Razor's Edge, exactly in the last sentence/lyric, it read like this, "This story ends where it began". So its really about progressive album, where virtuosity is needed.

My overall impression is very great. In this album, Dream Theater was possible influenced by Muse, The Beatles, Frank Zappa, Rush and many other progressive bands. Many nuggets in this album, honestly, to many that I cannot mention those here. For me, the most impressive song is Octavarium. It is 23.59 minutes in time and divided into 5 sections. In this song, you could find the name of the albums and lyrics from Dream Theater influences.

Goblumich07
    great album, the title track kicks ass in that it encompasses almost all genres of rock music
    dlow
    If you thought Octavarium was good, you should check out A Change Of Seasons. And yes, John Petrucci OWNS ALL
    4-string-4-eva
    best cd i ever bought, best band on earth, dream theater play like everyone else wishes they could