Octavarium review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
Dream Theater: Octavarium

Dream Theater's new album's got something that at least I rarely saw in other albums; Different types of music. It was released in June 7th, 2005. Dream theater came with metal, progressive rock, alternative and slow rock in this creation. Everywere in the album there are clues related with both number 5 and 8. And there is repeated the same musical phrase in all 8 songs and in different speed, instruments, etc. I see all the songs as technical music and I think that it is well seen in the duration of the songs, the lenght of the compasses.

Lyrics in the record are very good to my impression and James Labrie has managed very well to sing them though there are very complex singing parts. I found no much important relationship between the lyrics of each song. Lyrics in general are better than any commercial music there is now-a-days.

The album itself is great.All of The songs are great.Due to it's unusual name, many Dream Theater fans speculated on what they believe to be the meaning of the album's title. At first the band was going to name the album just Octave. But when prog rock band Spock's Beard released their (also eighth) album Octane earlier in 2005, Dream Theater decided to differentiate it's name a bit more from that. Some thought that the title referred to Octavarium Romanum, which was a book of Catholic liturgy referring to a period known as the Octave. There is also a similarity to the musical Octave: Root, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, Octave, and the title of the first track is "The Root of All Evil". Others theorized that the title came from Latin words meaning "Various Eight", since it has eight tracks and the band has said that the eight songs on the record are all of different styles. However, this is incorrect Latin; the Latin word for eight is "octo," not "octa," and "varium" is singular when it would need to be plural. This theory may have come from the fact that Octavarium is the band's eighth album, since "octavus" is Latin for "eighth". In cnclution, I strongly recommend you to buy it.

MaAal_MaAan
    WOOO! MUST GET THIS ALBUM! i just bought Score, their DVD, and it blew my socks off (not that i had any on)