Octavarium review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
Dream Theater: Octavarium

Every album by Dream Theater has it's own unique style and sound. This album certainly had many drastic changes coming from their previous album Train Of Though. After coming from a heavier and darker album, Octavarium took a big step into a more progressive style. The musicianship these guys have is what makes them, in my opinion, the greatest band. Each song had a unique style to it, and there are obviously a lot of influences. Unlike other albums, the first several tracks weren't so technical. There weren't as many riffs and changes that you'd normally expect from Dream Theater. But the song Octavarium made up for all that.

These aren't my favorite lyrics by Dream Theater. Although like all their albums it makes me want to read about what the song is about and the whole album. There is some kind of story that is suppose to link all the songs together. For example the song Octavarium's lyrics have subtle hints of lyrics from other tracks on the album. LeBrie's singing has got to be at his highest point. Even though in the past he has had some difficulty singing some of their songs. When I saw them live in Denver he hit every note perfect, and it blew my mind away.

This album is definitely different from their other albums. I couldn't decide on which track was my favorite, but I'd have to say Octavarium because it was so instrumental, and there were so many influences that I could hear and that I love. I wasn't so fond of "I Walk Beside You", "These Walls", and "The Answer Lies Within". But none the less it's still a great album. Go buy it! It's probably their best album, and if I lost it, I would search for days for another copy!

Kadavreski
    that last review is great
    Dream Theater's vocals cant be put into words.
    sure they can! they're called LYRICS!
    Doodleface
    i like how the first review refered to Petrucci as his 'condom' (something for true DT fans) i think this album is fantastic. not their best work, but certainly amazing in its own right. im a prog guy (not so much prog metal) and i think their best album was Six Degrees. followed by Awake. then this.
    jarrod439
    i downloaded this dream theater song and it was called the root of all evil but after listenin to it it wasnt the root of all evil. it starts out with patrucci playin quawers and the first few lyrics are 'father watch me fall, witness my mistakes, i have lost it all, im about to break' and then through out the song its 'crusify....' so yeh does anyone know what it is?
    \m/Alicia\m/
    I love this album, its fantastic! but i do have one tiny little annoyance, i think many DT fans will have noticed that the first track on Octavarium "The Root of All Evil" sounds almost exactly like "This Dying Soul" from Train of Thought in one part. appart from that, GREAT ALBUM!