Once In A Livetime review by Dream Theater

• Released: Oct 27, 1998
Dream Theater: Once In A Livetime

This is the second live Dream Theater album that I have bought, after Live At Budokan. If you are more into the band's older stuff then I would definately recommend this more that Budokan. However the sound quality was not quite as good as it could of been. Sometimes LaBrie's voice is very faint and is drowned out by the other instruments. The sound of John Myung's bass could also have been turned up a bit, as sometimes he fails to cut through like he does on studio albums. However John Petrucci's guitar solo really is something, as he incorporates "Flight Of The Bumblebee" into his solo, and can switch from very melodic to all out shred in an instant.

As this is Dream Theater here, the lyrics aren't that great, but they suit the type of music that Dream Theater make, i.e. mystical and a bit supernatural. However moving past the lyrics, LaBrie really does a fantastic voice, and his soaring voice is incredibly effective, and in my opinion one of the best singers in rock at the moment.

If you already own Live At Budokan, then this CD may seem slightly roughly recorded. However Dream Theater do perform "Ytse Jam" in its entirety, and Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci and Derek Sherinian all have solos respectively. Sherinian is my least favourite of the keyboard players of Dream Theater, Jordan Rudess being my favourite. Sherinian just doesn't seem to inject the same amount of magic into the music as Jordan Rudess. Highlights include "Ytse Jam," "Pull Me Under," "Hollow Years" and "Lie." Petrucci is spot on with all his solos, Portnoy and Myung are an immensely solid rhythm section, and drumming in odd time sequences really does add a special something.