Panem Et Circenses: Live In Rome, Italy [DVD] Review

artist: Dream Theater date: 08/16/2012 category: compact discs
Dream Theater: Panem Et Circenses: Live In Rome, Italy [DVD]
Released: Jul 11, 2011
This DVD was released in 2011 but was recorded in the "Octavarium" era so don't let the release date fool you. This doesn't stand up to some of DT's other live DVDs but it's still an essential for any hardcore fan.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 7
 1,016
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Panem Et Circenses: Live In Rome, Italy [DVD] Reviewed by: pwrmax, on august 16, 2012

Sound: The sounds is not bad, everything is generally balanced but don't expect audio quality like "Budokan" or "Score". There's nothing on the packaging that says who mixed/mastered the audio but the quality is on par with DT's bootleg live albums (best compared to "Dark Side Of The Moon") so I'm guessing it was Portnoy. Keys are little loud sometimes but I'm not complaining, you really get to hear some of the cool stuff Jordan does in the background that isn't as obvious on their studio albums (especially on "Panic Attack"). // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, this doesn't stand up to some of DT's other live DVDs but it's still an essential for any hardcore fan, some songs like "These Walls" or "Never Enough" don't appear on any other official DVD releases so it's nice to have a live version of them. If you don't own any of DT's live stuff then I wouldn't recommend this as a starter. If you're looking to expand your collection then this is something you won't regret. I would most definitely buy a new one if the unfortunate were to happen. // 8

Comments