Score [DVD] review by Dream Theater

• Released: Aug 29, 2006
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Dream Theater: Score [DVD]

Dream Theater is my second favourite band. The have really redifined progressive rock/metal, mixing elements of Yes and Genesis wit the crushing riff of Metallica and the guitar work of Iron Maiden. Every member of Dream Theater is an absolute God at what they do. John Petrucci is one of the greatest guitar players ever but my favourite member is Jordan Rudess. Jorddan Rudess is the greatest keyboard playeralive. He can do things with the keyboard I thought were impossibe and the way he interacts with Petrucci is stunning. The DVD was filmed at the New York City Radio Music Hall and I the 20th anniversary world tour. About the only let down song in the first half is Afterlife, which is a bit lifeless. In the second half, the orchestra enters. The disc ends with an encore of "Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle and The Sleeper", one of the best songs on the DVD.

Content — 10
Score is a 2 DVD set. The first DVD is the full concert with Doby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound or PCM Stereo. The 2nd disc contains the bonus features. The bonus features are: a fantastic documentary detailling the band from start to present, an animation and three other bonus live tracks. One of the thing I really like about this DVD is that it includes a song from nearly every album but instead of doing one from Falling Into Infinty they do a previously unreleased so, Raise The Knife, which is my favourite song of theirs.

Production Quality — 9
The production quality is fantastic. Mike Portnoy produced the DVD so there is a lot ofhim being shown, but that's alright because he's such a fantastic drummer. The also use split screen alot, either sowintwo artists, two different angles of the same person or, during Octavarium, the animation and an artist.

This is my favourite DVD (second favourite: Metallica - S&M). I could listen to it all day long. My favourite pats of the DVD are the documentary and Metropolis. I love whe they bring the orchestra in. It really adds another element to the music. If someone stole this DVD, I would hunt them don and kill them.

Guitar_Poet
    fluffylump2 wrote: i really don't like their singer. Live, he can't hit notes and has no tone. sorry. i've seen this and the Budokan DVD and he really doesn't deliver.
    indeed. labrie is really bad live, IMO... he sounds great on the albums though. DONT buy the SFAM DVD if you dont like labrie's live performances.. he COMPLETELY butchers "Home"... one of my favorite songs.
    Guitar_Poet
    i forgot to mention this DVD in my post. Score is overall just AWESOME... my favorite part is JP's solo on "about to crash" [second part of SDOIT]... damn that solo is awesome. its not the fastest or most complex, but on Score is it amazing. "the test that stumped them all" is also kickass. okay, the DVD is kickass. if you like DT or want a great introduction to them (aside from what labrie sounds like)... buy this DVD.