Score [DVD] review by Dream Theater

• Released: Aug 29, 2006
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Dream Theater: Score [DVD]

Dream Theater sounds great on this concert DVD, and they played a selection of songs that spanned their whole career. They also played several songs promoting their brand new (at the time) album Octavarium. Most of the songs have a amazing guitar solo done by John Petrucci, and/or a jaw-dropping keyboard solo done by Jordan Rudess. Dream Theater plays progressive metal, and they have throughout their entire career. Although, they can slow down a little and become more mellow, such as on "The Spirit Carries On" and "The Answer Lies Within". My only complaint is that James LaBrie's voice gets kind of ridiculous on parts of "Under a Glass Moon" and "Innocence Faded". One other thing I have a problem with is that you can barely hear John Myung's bass.

Content — 10
This DVD includes the show DT played at the Radio City Music Hall in New York City, on April 1st, 2006. It includes the show (disc one), which pushes over two and a half hours, and a bonus material disc (disc two). The show is awesome, but the bonus features are actually almost as good. The bonus material is: The Score so Far (20th Anniversary Documentary), which is an hour of DT history, Octavarium Animation, and three bonus tracks. Setlist: 01. The Root Of All Evil - great way to start the show, the beginning riff really kicks you in the ass. Amazing keyboard solo, guitar solo, and keyboard/guitar unison. 02. I Walk Beside You - not my favorite DT song, no guitar solo, and kind of a weird song to play second in the show. Has sort of a U2-ish vibe to it. 03. Another Won - great early DT song, John Petrucci really shines here. This was one of their first songs ever written. 04. Afterlife - it's ok, but not great. Kind of has a radio-oriented vibe to it. But it's got a killer riff to it, so it's still okay. 05. Under A Glass Moon - very good song, but James LaBrie kinda goes all opera on parts of this song. On the other hand, the musicianship on this song really comes together, with one of Petrucci's best solos on the DVD. 06. Innocence Faded - pretty well done, although LaBrie's voice veers off into opera territory for pretty much this whole song. But, once again, the instrumentalists make up for this at the end of the song. 07. Raise The Knife - an awesome unreleased DT track, written around the time that Falling Into Infinity was released. One of my favorite songs on the DVD. The solos are crazy here. Great opening riff, also. 08. The Spirit Carries On - more mellow DT song, with more amazing solos from Mr. Petrucci. What can I say, awesome song. 09. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - when this 42 minute song was done, my jaw was stuck to the floor. This song also marks the start of the second set, with the orchestra. Longest song on the DVD. 10. Vacant - no guitar or drums here, it's pretty much just James LaBrie singing with a cello (I think) in the background. It's actually kind of a neat departure though. Shortest song on the DVD. 11. The Answer Lies Within - another mellow song. No real solos here. This and "Vacant" are kind of like a breather, before the three final epics. This song is still pretty good though. 12. Sacrificed Sons - wow, what can I say. Amazing. Discusses the terrorist attack in New York and the war in Iraq, I believe. 13. Octavarium - my favorite song on the DVD. Has my favorite keyboard solo, guitar solo, and keys/guitar unison in history. 14. Metropolis - good way to close the show. Good solos on this epic. James LaBrie's voice sounds a little ragged, though. But it's still awesome. Bonus Tracks: 15. Another Day (Live in Tokyo, August 26, 1993) - pretty good, great guitar solo. 16. The Great Debate (Live in Bucharest, July 4, 2002) - one of my favorite DT songs. Great musicianship here. Sound quality is a little off though. Discusses stem cell research. 17. Honor Thy Father (Live in Chicago, August 12, 2005) - another one of my favorite DT songs. The guitar solos are short, but they're still awesome. The part I look forward to on this song is when LaBrie sings "You're the rotted root in the family tree, yeah motherf--ker!"

Production Quality — 9
The thing that really gets me about this DVD are the camera angles. It's kind of hard to describe, but all I know is that they're awesome. My favorite view would have to be the Mike Portnoy camera. Some of the faces he makes are pretty funny, and his drumming skills just can't be contested with. Another cool part in the show is when Jordan Rudess is doing his Continuum fingerboard solo that kicks off Octavarium. Probably my favorite "trick" the band does is when Jordan is doing another solo, and John Myung and John Petrucci switch fretting hands so that while Petrucci picks notes with his right hand, Myung frets notes on Petrucci's guitar with his left hand, and vice versa. You'll have to watch the DVD to see what I'm talking about.

This is superior to my Buckethead Secret Recipe DVD in more ways than one. Just one reason it's better is that DT's concert is about 60 minutes longer than both of the Buckethead concerts combined. Everything is impressive on this DVD, I can't pick one thing. The only things I don't like about it are the way Labrie's voice gets on certain songs, and the fact that you can't hear Myung's bass. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again.