Score [DVD] review by Dream Theater

• Released: Aug 29, 2006
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Dream Theater: Score [DVD]

The sound quality of this DVD is superb. Everything is clearly defined and Petrucci's guitar solos are very well complimented. There's hardly any echo, and the stereo mixing is excellent. The audio quality of this DVD allows LaBrie's vocals to soar, especially in songs like 'Vacant' and 'Goodnight Kiss'. But occasionally Portnoy and Petrucci's backing vocals are too weak, nevertheless it's hard to attain a decent sound with a band playing such rich material, but it's really good on this DVD.

Content — 10
The first disc features Dream Theater's entire performance at the Radio City Music Hall in New York City. The second disk features an intriguing documentary 'The Score So Far...' about how Dream Theater began and what they've achieved in 20 years, and extra live performances of 'The Great Debate', 'Honor Thy Father', and 'Another Day'. The concert itself features a couple of non-album songs, 'Raise the Knife' and 'Another Won', new material for Dream Theater fans. They play the entire 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence' suite and the half-hour-long 'Octavarium', both absolute masterpieces. Perfect set.

Production Quality — 9
Production quality is brilliant. A massive central screen with two smaller ones on either side provided the background graphics. The lighting is very good, not overdone, flooding the stage with a wide variety of colours. Perfect blackout in 'Metropolis', blew me away first time I saw it. Overall very good production. Worth every penny.

I believe that Dream Theater are in a league of their own. Nobody can compare with the professionalism and expertise of this band. The most impressive thing on the DVD is the orchestra arrangement for the songs. I couldn't possibly hate anything about this DVD. If it were stolen/lost I would definitely purchase it again.

Disturbed.One
    totally agree. Around where I live (Saskatchewan) I have never even met anyone who has heard of dream theater, and it really makes me angry LOL. They think they know music....