Score [DVD] Review

artist: Dream Theater date: 09/04/2006 category: compact discs
Dream Theater: Score [DVD]
Release Date: August 29, 2006
For Dream Theater fans, "Score" is a godsend. It provides not only the orchestral concert, but also a documentary detailing the evolution of the band. Even if you've never heard a Dream Theater song before, you might just become a believer when you watch even just one of the solos on "Score".
 Content: 9.8
 Production Quality: 9
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
 1,340
Score [DVD] Featured review by: UG Team, on september 04, 2006

Sound: If there is one thing that Dream Theater cannot be accused of, it's not giving a crowd it's money's worth at a concert. The band's latest DVD release Score, a concert at Radio City Hall to celebrate the band's 20th anniversary, supplies a heavy helping of awe-inspiring guitar and keyboard solos, songs exceeding the 40-minute mark, and a 30-piece orchestra to top it all off. With some bands, the addition of an orchestra might seem pretentious, but for Dream Theater it actually fits to a tee. They are one of the few bands who have shown over the years that they are skilled enough to play pretty much anything -- from orchestral movements to covers of Metallica.

While there are no covers of Master Of Puppets (which they've been known to cover) on Score, the two-disc DVD gives fans and newcomers a much better grasp of why the progressive rock band has been heralded as being as symphonic as any chamber orchestra. The concert portion of the DVD is phenomenal when it comes to relaying the talent of each musician in Dream Theater. One of the best examples of this clarity is Under A Glass Moon, in which Petrucci approaches bassist John Myung and proceeds to pick his bandmate's bass -- during the middle of his own solo. And then there are Petrucci's runs -- not to mention keyboardist Jordan Rudess' synthesized runs -- which are images to behold. Probably one of the most fascinating moments is when Rudess uses his continuum, a MIDI-controlled keyboard of sorts that changes note or vibrato with the pressure pressed upon it.

Vocalist James LaBrie's trademark wails and Mike Portnoy's immaculate skills round out the larger-than-life sound of Dream Theater. LaBrie's vocals may be a bit too over-the-top for some listeners, given that the man can hit plenty of notes that many girls would not dare to try reach. But put in perspective, the band needs a singer who has the range and the staying power to do a song like Six Degrees Of Separation, a 41-minute long epic song.

The performance takes on a different feel with the introduction of the Octavarium Orchestra, with songs focusing on more of ethereal feel rather than the harder style of the first set's song The Root Of All Evil. The beginning portion of the second set actually features a lengthy intro by the orchestra alone, which hopefully can still be embraced by fans who are eager to get their next dose of Dream Theater. // 10

Overall Impression: As a band, Dream Theater has a truly mystifying level of communication between the musicians. When Petrucci and Rudess play an intricate, oddly timed solo together - hitting each note perfectly in sync with one another - it's mind-blowing, plain and simple. There are few bands that have a set that is as tight as Dream Theater and Score provides the proof.

While it is definitely the musicians' ability as a whole that has given Dream Theater it's reputation over the years, the missing ingredient in the Score DVD was a more enthralling stage presence from LaBrie. He has plenty of emotion in his eyes, but his energy is minimal for being a frontman. The Score show could have been taken to an even more impressive level if LaBrie connected just a bit more with the audience.

For Dream Theater fans, Score is a godsend. It provides not only the orchestral concert, but also a documentary detailing the evolution of the band. Even if you've never heard a Dream Theater song before, you might just become a believer when you watch even just one of the solos on Score. // 9

Score [DVD] Reviewed by: kdownes, on may 28, 2007

Sound: Dream Theater is my second favourite band. The have really redifined progressive rock/metal, mixing elements of Yes and Genesis wit the crushing riff of Metallica and the guitar work of Iron Maiden. Every member of Dream Theater is an absolute God at what they do. John Petrucci is one of the greatest guitar players ever but my favourite member is Jordan Rudess. Jorddan Rudess is the greatest keyboard playeralive. He can do things with the keyboard I thought were impossibe and the way he interacts with Petrucci is stunning. The DVD was filmed at the New York City Radio Music Hall and I the 20th anniversary world tour. About the only let down song in the first half is Afterlife, which is a bit lifeless. In the second half, the orchestra enters. The disc ends with an encore of "Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle and The Sleeper", one of the best songs on the DVD. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my favourite DVD (second favourite: Metallica - S&M). I could listen to it all day long. My favourite pats of the DVD are the documentary and Metropolis. I love whe they bring the orchestra in. It really adds another element to the music. If someone stole this DVD, I would hunt them don and kill them. // 10

Score [DVD] Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on november 13, 2007

Sound: Dream Theater sounds great on this concert DVD, and they played a selection of songs that spanned their whole career. They also played several songs promoting their brand new (at the time) album Octavarium. Most of the songs have a amazing guitar solo done by John Petrucci, and/or a jaw-dropping keyboard solo done by Jordan Rudess. Dream Theater plays progressive metal, and they have throughout their entire career. Although, they can slow down a little and become more mellow, such as on "The Spirit Carries On" and "The Answer Lies Within". My only complaint is that James LaBrie's voice gets kind of ridiculous on parts of "Under a Glass Moon" and "Innocence Faded". One other thing I have a problem with is that you can barely hear John Myung's bass. // 9

Overall Impression: This is superior to my Buckethead Secret Recipe DVD in more ways than one. Just one reason it's better is that DT's concert is about 60 minutes longer than both of the Buckethead concerts combined. Everything is impressive on this DVD, I can't pick one thing. The only things I don't like about it are the way Labrie's voice gets on certain songs, and the fact that you can't hear Myung's bass. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Score [DVD] Reviewed by: utahotc, on october 17, 2006

Sound: Dream Theater has been around for twenty years, and their experience hits a pinnacle on this DVD. It shows a great combination of everything in their line-up, from Another Won (a song from their early, early days), to Octavarium, their latest progressive epic. The first part of the DVD feels like typical DT live stuff (which is always mind-blowing). They sound a bit different live then on CD; this is shown quite a lot with James LaBrie's voice, as it is harder to discern the lyrics in concert then on CD. The second part of the DVD is where they shine; playing with a full orchestra seems to fill a missing gap in the songs they play. The full Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, for example, seems made for orchestral play, and that song has never sounded more satisfying and complete. Metropolis gave me chills, I can't even go back to the original version! // 9

Overall Impression: Dream Theater has been around a while. They've changed, progressed, and learned their way through twenty years of music. And it shows here. You can tell the difference between their new and their old stuff, and it makes you appreciate how even those who are incredible at what they do still learn over time. What will draw most people in is the orchestral session, and I think I will never forget the first time I heard the intro to Metropolis; I would have given my left arm to have been there. If, for some strange, incomprehensible reason my copy disappeared, I would be back out to find another one the minute I discovered it was missing. This is a must have in any musician's library. // 10

Score [DVD] Reviewed by: pingu45, on june 23, 2008

Sound: The sound quality of this DVD is superb. Everything is clearly defined and Petrucci's guitar solos are very well complimented. There's hardly any echo, and the stereo mixing is excellent. The audio quality of this DVD allows LaBrie's vocals to soar, especially in songs like 'Vacant' and 'Goodnight Kiss'. But occasionally Portnoy and Petrucci's backing vocals are too weak, nevertheless it's hard to attain a decent sound with a band playing such rich material, but it's really good on this DVD. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe that Dream Theater are in a league of their own. Nobody can compare with the professionalism and expertise of this band. The most impressive thing on the DVD is the orchestra arrangement for the songs. I couldn't possibly hate anything about this DVD. If it were stolen/lost I would definitely purchase it again. // 9

Comments