Systematic Chaos review by Dream Theater

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Dream Theater: Systematic Chaos

I might like this if I had never heard Dream Theater before; however, being a very big fan, I was supremely dissapointed. Just like Octavarium, Systematic Chaos does nothing but detract from the superb musicianship that used to be Dream Theater. They've settled for simpler song structures and all around simpler, and definitely uninteresting music. Save for the instrumental sections. Most of the verses, choruses, bridges, etc, were just bland. The instrumental section of Dark Eternal Night was the only part of the CD that I completely and thoroughly enjoyed.

Dream Theater lyrics used to be interesting and full of symbolism. Most of the songs on the past 3 or 4 albums have been about nothing but "isolation." They are running short on ways to describe the feeling of isolation, and should have stopped that topic after The Glass Prison (awesome song). These lyrics seem totally uninspired, much unlike songs such as "learning to live" "take the time" "voices" and "change of seasons." I really wish they'd quit writing these cliche rock pieces of crap.

It's just not worth it. Just go get scenes from a memory, awake, images and words, and six degrees. they are all better in every aspect than Systematic Chaos. I come to you as a man who really really wanted dream theater to pull through with this one. I was skeptical after train of thought, but forgave them because it was their heaviest effort and they wrote the entire thing in 2 or 3 weeks. Then Octavarium reared it's ugly head and I got a bit scared. Systematic Chaos may be the nail in the coffin for Petrucci and the boys. They aren't even progressive anymore. It's time to crown new kings of prog.

travislausch
    ICreamsodAI wrote: This album is so good... Is it possible to dislike Dream Theater??
    Yeah, if you're a Pain Of Salvation fan. I'm the exception to THAT rule.
    Twist of Cain
    Bassist #5 wrote: i am a huge dream theater fan and i can say this is definitly my favorite album to date. and their darkest. the slower songs are great but they keep it to a mellow more dark side. and everything else is basically constant motion. its more heavy than usual and its a new place for them and they delivered. train of though was dark form start to finish but this one has balls! no song was a dissapointment. all in all this is a great album. ASS AND BALLS!
    Im with you on that.
    Decepticon_son
    i think everyone who thought they had a grip on music and music theory died a little inside when they thought "oh great now ive got to learn in the presence of enemies-part 2..." (good challenge though) absolutly incredible album cant wait for the tour/next album
    Decepticon_son
    I think its safe to say every musician whos listened to this album and wanted to learn ITPOE 1&2 had a few choice words of frustration youve either gotta be on the most powerful of hallucinogens or a master of music theory to come up with that craziness amazing album, cant wait for tour/next album(?)