Train Of Thought review by Dream Theater

• Released: Nov 14, 2003
Dream Theater: Train Of Thought

The style is mostly prog-Metal, with less progressive and more metal than DT's previous albums. Most of the songs are in Drop C, giving it a very dark and heavy feel that I love. The synth and piano riffs are generally fantastic (especially on Honor Thy Father), but can occasionally cross the line into laughable, stupid, song-ruining Bugs Bunny-esque sounds (Endless Sacrifice). Overall a great sound that can occasionally be overdone.

Here's where DT falls short the lyrics tend to, well, suck. All the songs by James LaBrie (the singer) are cheesy and ridiculous, while As I am, In The Name of God, and Honor Thy Father (written by John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy, the guitarist and drummer) have fantastic lyrics. I don't particularly agree with parts of the message expressed by In The Name of God, but it's still one of the best songs on the album. However, take this cringe-worthy line from This Dying Soul: "Coping with this s--t at such an age/can only fill a kid with pain and rage", or another from the same song: "Living on your own at 21/Not a single care and having fun". The lyrics are just terrible. If Portnoy and Petrucci wrote all the songs, DT would have amazing lyrics. But as it stands, the ratio of good to bad is 4:7 (songs on the album). I tend to listen much more to the music.

Having heard only sections of other DT albums, I could probably say that I like the sound of Train of Thought better than their previous albums. However, I plan on buying Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Metropolis Pt. 2. Almost all the songs are great, except for Endless Sacrifice and parts of In The Name of God. I love how Stream of Consciousness molds into Vacant, producing an incredibly powerful effect. It's ironic that Stream Of Consciousness, an 11-minute song with no lyrics, can never be boring. Having said this, when combined with Vacant, its emotional impact is incredible. You can't say the same about many other bands I think "Stream" takes the cake as the best song on Train of Thought. I love nearly everything about Train of Thought, with the exception of Endless Sacrifice. For a CD with 7 tracks, having 1/7 of the album suck endlessly (no pun intended) is unfortunate. However, I don't really mind it because the rest is so fantastic. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again. For metal fans, buy this album. For people looking for the more "classic" DT sound, try Awake or Metropolis Pt. 2.