Train Of Thought review by Dream Theater

• Released: Nov 14, 2003
Dream Theater: Train Of Thought

This album has great sound quality. You can hear every instrument really well, I've heard albums where the bassist would drown out the guitarist or something like that, but in Tot you can hear everything perfectly. There are drums solos, keyboard solos, guitar solos and they all sound great. John Petrucci's solos cut through all the drums and keyboard, and I love it.

My only complaint is that the singer sometimes sound a little queer, but he still is very talented. What's great about the lyrics is that they actually mean something, it's not just something used to take up time between solos. I'm not an expert on lyrics, but I think the Tot lyrics are great.

Dream Theater went from softer music like in Images and Words to some of the best metal I've ever heard. In Tot John Petrucci really shows his talent in songs like stream of consciousness and as I am, not to mention that the rest of the musicians in the band are also crazy talented. And all the heavy riffs in In the name of G-d and Honor thy Father, I just can't stop listening to this album! Do yourself a favor and buy this album, then just sit back and enjoy some of the most complex and well written songs you've ever heard.

MyFuriousNipple
    Petrucci and Portnoy do write all the lyrics and the only song I know of that uses dropped tuning out of their entire song catalog is "Home" and I doubt anybody has any complaints about that.
    dlow
    One of the most hyped up DT album. However, i think that there are other greater DT albums. Although "In The Name Of God" has superb technical runs, and solos, the album seems lacking in the DT root of Prog Metal.
    Guitar_Poet
    Amazing album. Im feelin that 7/8 - 5/8 - 2/4 - 7/8 - 4/4 section like halfway through Endless Sacrifice. So many other compliments... 10/10 CD. And more than 1 song is in dropped tuning MyFuriousNipple... As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, Honor Thy Father, Stream Of Consciousness, and In The Name Of God are all dropped to an extent, whether it be down a halfstep or to C or D... anyway. Basically, theres only two songs on this CD that arent dropped tuning =D
    vengance302
    If you watch the "Live at Budokon" video, you can see that such songs are -not- dropped.
    gwanunig
    Darn it people! Include a review of LaBrie's vocals under "sound", not lyrics. Lyrics are what the songs say. Not how they're said. Review the words and not the notes that they appear with.