Train Of Thought review by Dream Theater

• Released: Nov 14, 2003
Dream Theater: Train Of Thought

I found that this album is the type of album that gives you the creeps the first time you hear it. The bands objective during the composition of this great album was to make a whole CD with songs that would, like petrucci says in Score Documentary, "raise the crowd".The whole album is Progressive Metal, though they make a break in "Vacant" with a mellow song. I also found that there is much less prescence of keyboard than in any other album.

01. As I am - lyrics are great. Lyrics try to basicly say "if you don't like me, f--k you, I won't change" as the chorus says: "Take me as I am!" 02. This Dying Soul - lyrics of this dying soul are the continuation of Mike Portnoy's Alcoholic Suite (The continuation of The Glass Prison) and revise, as in Six Deg., the steps to leave alcoholism. 03. Endless Sacrifice - I found that lyrics in this song are very deep, they talk of a man that is going to get "crazy" if he can't see the person he needs to live. 04. Honor Thy Father - hate. The lyrics of this song show very clearly by the way of singing them and by the lyrics themself the hate to a step father who ruined a family. As most agressive lyrics, Mr. Portnoy wrote them. 05. Vacant - the song itself is very short (less than 3:00). Lyrics talk about a depressed woman who feels a "vacant heart" and the man who expresses this doesn't know how to help. 06. Steram Of Consciousness - instrumental. 07. In The Name Of God - talks about what people do in the name of God, such as killing, etc. Very deep lyrics.

It is the only "whole progressive metal" album these guys came up with. I really like the whole album, I think that the only "not-impressive" song in the album is "Vacant". I love all the album in every aspect, from riffs to lyrics, from virtuosity to instrumental sections. If this album was stolen or lost, I would inmediately buy it again and an extra copy just in case.