Train Of Thought review by Dream Theater

• Released: Nov 14, 2003
Dream Theater: Train Of Thought

This is pretty heavy. This is the first Dream Theater I have, and I'm more into mainstream heavy metal (In Flames, Mudvayne). It's very good. I've been quite enlightened. It's metal, with synth/piano incorporated into it. The drumming and guitar drives the song along, but when the singing starts it takes center stage (whether you like it or not).

The singing isn't what I'm used too. The lyrics are very serious, and Honor Thy Father is the best song I have ever heard about a stepfather. It's so far above all the crap that bands release now. As I am is good, but it's hard to tell what he's saying. In the Name of God comes across as almost cheesy. The singing on most isn't my favorite, but Honor Thy Father kicks so much ass I'm giving this a ten (he does clean singing for such having such a heavy CD).

I don't have any other DT albums, however I've listened to some of their other songs, and this is by far the heaviest and most aggresive. If you aren't into their cds it doesn't mean you'll hate this one. If you are a Dream Theater fan, you should like this (with a couple songs you won't like). With all the different songwriters it makes the tone of all the songs so different that it seems like they don't belong on the same cd. But find what floats your boat, all the songs are long enough that you can kill an afternoon on a single song (and their so good you listen and listen again to kill even more time). I would buy this again, easy.

avacado
    I just found out about dream theater, so does anyone know a good album of theirs to start with?
    freedomdeceptiv
    Dream Floyd
    metal2thecore
    Dream Floyd... you call these guys idiots yet you say that The Root of All Evil was part 1... part 1 is the Glass Prison, This Dying Soul was part 2 and the Root of All Evil is part 3
    Filip413
    Dream Floyd wrote: these guys are idiots... they say that "This Dying Soul" is part Two of the Alcoholics Anonymous suite. It's part three you idiots (the root of all evil was part one, and the Mirror was just a prelude)
    Wasn't "glass prison" part one?
    samlocke14
    FAIL 1. the glass prison 2. this dying soul 3. THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. make sure your claims are right before you go calling people idiots.
    Megatallica18
    freedomdeceptiv wrote: to avacado... Images and words then Metropolis Pt. 2... anyway, i prefer the more progressive stuff like on metropolis and 6 degrees... the heaviness is kinda sweet tho even tho its a lot different from the usual DT material. New listeners, do NOT get this album first. listen to the earlier stuff FIRST.
    idk wtf your talking about, but this was the first DT album i got and i was hooked
    vladislaav
    train of thought...the more I listen to this album the more I like it...my first listen is "what's this?" but now I really enjoy it...Love "In The Name of God"...great song!!!the only downside is Vacant...the keyboard is not Kevin-like...no repetition melody...