When Dream And Day Unite review by Dream Theater

• Released: Mar 6, 1989
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Dream Theater: When Dream And Day Unite

The sound on this album is pretty horrible, to say the least. This is totally eighties, you can tell. The technical proficiency of the band members is still evident in places, particularily Petrucci's guitar and Portnoy's drums, but overall the sound isn't very good. Not only is the production quality low but the sound itself just isn't good. Plus, Charlie Dominici's voice is drop-dead horrible and makes all of the vocal songs barely listenable. Overall, a pretty bad sound.

The lyrics on this album, best I can tell, were lazily written and half of the time are mostly incomprehensible babble about people and magic things and stuff like that. Seriously, that's all I can really say. Plus, the song titles are dumb too. "The Ones Who Help To Set the Sun?" What? This is definitely one of the downfalls of this album.

Overall, the instrumentation is good, but the bad sound/audio quality sort of ruins it. The vocalist sucks, I am truly glad that Dominici was fired. He tries to sound like every other '80s hair band and he definitely fails. The best song on the album is "The Ytse Jam," and is honestly worth the price. The song rocks! I think it is the best on the album simply because there is no singing. That's what makes it great. Dream Theater fans, I recommend buying this just for the aformented jam and the fact that it is rare and it is running out. Fans of prog and new DT fans, stay away. This CD definitely shows that the band needed progress. They have progressed twenty times over since this disc, and it shows.

miraga715
    I will definately admit this album is my least favorite album from DT. To top it off I still can't seem to get myself to listen all the way through. At the "Live at the Marquee" live album James sung some of the songs and I liked his versions better.